Oracle Instant connection failure

Jump to solution
12-30-2014 08:33 AM
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

I have installed 32 and 64 bit Oracle Instant Client 11.2 with the 64bit patch first in line.  ArcGIS Desktop is working fine, but ArcGIS Pro Prerelease  has the following error.

Connection Error Failed to connect to specified server. A database connection exception has occurred. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load.  Be sure the database software is installed and configured correctly.

or

Oracle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

No, you do not need to switch between the 32-bit and 64-bit clients to be first in the path, to use Desktop (32-bit) and ArcGIS Pro (64-bit) on the same machine.

You just need to ensure that the 64 bit client is listed first in the path variable and then the 32-bit client is listed.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

I tweaked the path statement, I had the 32 and 64 using same path.  When a separated them out I now have the error:  Connection Error

Failed to connect to the specified server.

Application server are not supported with ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
QuinnFrancis
New Contributor III

Irvin,

The error message indicates that you are using an ArcSDE application server connection.  With ArcGIS Pro the use of application server connection files is not supported.

Release notes—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

0 Kudos
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

I am using the connect to database button on the insert tab to try to connect. Is this not the correct method?

0 Kudos
niteshjauhari1
New Contributor

Hi Irvin,

I hope you are working with ArcGIS 10.2.2 or a lower release.ArcGIS Pro is a 64 bit client application while ArcGIS Desktop is a 32 bit client application. You may have installed both the Oracle Net clients(32 bit and 64 bit), but when you want to make a connection from ArcGIS Desktop make sure you are using 32 bit Oracle Net client path in the beginning of the environment variables("Path" variable in Computer Properties>>Advanced System Settings>>Environment variables).  When you want to make a connection from ArcGIS Pro, make sure you are using a 64 bit Oracle Net client path in Environment variables.

Please let me know for further questions.

Regards,

Nitesh J.

0 Kudos
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

We only have the 32 bit client installed due to legacy applications in our agency. I am trying to use the easy connect client to access the database from ArcGIS Pro. I installed both the 64 and 32 bit directories and added the 64 bit path first in my path statement. I am able to access the 32 bit easy connect connection with Desktop 10.2.2 but the Pro won’t work with the 64 bit version.

0 Kudos
KathyBurrows
New Contributor

I had two questions.

1.  Can the Oracle Net Clients (32-bit and 64-bit) be the Full Oracle Client for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro?

2.  Do we have to switch the 32-bit and 64-bit to be first in the path to switch between using Desktop 10.2.2 (32-bit) and ArcGIS Pro (64-bit)?

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
NiteshJauhari
New Contributor II

Here are the answers to your questions.

1) Yes. You can install Administrator(Full client) Oracle Net Clients for ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro depending on your bit versions(32 bit and 64 bit).

2) Yes. You need to make sure that while connecting from ArcGIS Pro, 64 bit Oracle Net Client path should be provided in the beginning of Environment Variables "path" and 32 bit for ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2.

If you face any further issues while connecting to your Oracle SDE geodatabase, I'll suggest contact Tech-Support for a quick review.

Thanks & Regards,

Nitesh J.

KathyBurrows
New Contributor

So, we would have to switch the path each time, we needed to use ArcGIS Pro and Desktop?

Use Desktoop with 32-bit first in path

Switch path

Add 64-bit first in path for ArcPro

Then switch back again?

This doesn’t seem like a good solution.

Our users do not have the ability to alter their path. That is why are trying to come up with a permanent solution for all users.

0 Kudos
NiteshJauhari
New Contributor II

This will only happen if you have installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 and ArcGIS Pro on the same client machine. You may install them on different machines rather.

Thanks,

Nitesh J.

0 Kudos