Select to view content in your preferred language

Oracle Enterprise GeoDatabase Question

Jump to solution
02-28-2024 07:24 AM
DRae
by
New Contributor III

Hi I am new to the geospatial analysis. In my environment, there is an Oracle Enterprise GeoDatabase setup for the GIS Server, and Portal. I want to learn how to do the spatial analysis with SQL, I want to know where I can get the document for function like ST_Geometry. Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@DRae - If you plan to use SQL  to access the spatial data stored in the Geodatabase with Esri ST_GEOMETRY Spatial Data Type, then the ArcGIS Client that you use to create or upgrade the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository "does matter". Why? Because of bug fixes, enhancements, etc. 

Note: ArcMap 10.8.x will retire, and customers need to switch to ArcGIS Pro.

ArcMap Life Cycle | Esri Support

The best practice is to keep the ArcGIS Client version and the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository Version at the same ArcGIS Version to avoid issues.

Read the details in the link below.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

MarceloMarques_0-1709150758521.png

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I would argue that it doesn't matter. Esri hasn't made any changes to ST_GEOMETRY in years. So, I think the documentation applies to both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. And I would be surprised if you're using a version of either that is so old that it doesn't match the docs.

At any rate, here is the ST_GEOMETRY documentation for ArcGIS Pro. As far as I can tell, the content is the same as the ArcMap link.
ArcGIS Pro - Databases and ST_Geometry - See the PDF link at the bottom of that page: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.0/help/data/databases/pdf/stgeometry_reference.pdf 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

SQL and enterprise geodatabases—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

The ST_Geometry storage type—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

SQL functions used with ST_Geometry—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

0 Kudos
DRae
by
New Contributor III

Is it matter that I am using ArcGIS Pro instead of ArcMap for the ST_Geometry? 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@DRae - If you plan to use SQL  to access the spatial data stored in the Geodatabase with Esri ST_GEOMETRY Spatial Data Type, then the ArcGIS Client that you use to create or upgrade the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository "does matter". Why? Because of bug fixes, enhancements, etc. 

Note: ArcMap 10.8.x will retire, and customers need to switch to ArcGIS Pro.

ArcMap Life Cycle | Esri Support

The best practice is to keep the ArcGIS Client version and the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository Version at the same ArcGIS Version to avoid issues.

Read the details in the link below.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

MarceloMarques_0-1709150758521.png

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I would argue that it doesn't matter. Esri hasn't made any changes to ST_GEOMETRY in years. So, I think the documentation applies to both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. And I would be surprised if you're using a version of either that is so old that it doesn't match the docs.

At any rate, here is the ST_GEOMETRY documentation for ArcGIS Pro. As far as I can tell, the content is the same as the ArcMap link.
ArcGIS Pro - Databases and ST_Geometry - See the PDF link at the bottom of that page: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.0/help/data/databases/pdf/stgeometry_reference.pdf