Number of layers in a service

08-11-2014 08:59 AM
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

Does the number of layers in a service make a difference on the performance of the server?  For example, if I am serving the same data, does it make a difference if my service has 20 layers or 1500?

I have a project where we have 10 to 20 feature classes in a geodatabase, but to view them properly, we need to put query definitions on them to break it up.  The resulting map can have anywhere from 900 to 1500 layers.

I have two options:

1) I can put those query definitions in an mxd and create a service out of it (1500 layers).

OR

2) I can serve the feature classes as layers w/ no query definition (20 layers) and put the query definitions on a web app.

All things being equal, does it make a difference performance either way?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brendan,

There is a great tool called System Test that will allow you test the performance of ArcGIS Server services and applications.

BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jake,

Do you have any tutorials/documentation on using system test?  I like the look of it but can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brandon,

At the top right of the System Test tools, click on the question mark symbol:

screen1.png

This will allow you to access the help.  The help provides the steps to test different types of ArcGIS Server services and applications.

BrandonKeinath1

Thanks Jake,

I guess I gloss over those "?" icons, whoops.  Thanks for the reply and I'll check out the help.

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen

Hi Brendan,

Your option 2 would be ideal.

Reasons:

1. 1500 layer will be a over kill on your server and users, imagine users having to toggle between with 1500 layers.

2. Applying definition query in the MXD and publishing the map service will essentially establish ~75 select query to each of your feature class before the instance can be available for use. This is not just one time cost, everything users zoom in and zoom out it is ~75 selects as well.

3. Applying definition query on your web app will definitely give you a better performance than having a service with 1500 layers.

KevinDeege
Esri Contributor

Hi Brendan;

It's a common question; in most cases it makes sense to combine fewer layers in a service for multiple reasons: performance, cartographic display, user experience, etc.

arcgis server - Lots of layers in one or multiple services? (and why) - Geographic Information Syste...

While there isn't a magic number, there is usually a practical ceiling for managing layers within the same service.

BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

Jake, Riyas, Kevin,

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos