new problem REST query 10.1 - every other request fails (400 unable to complete oper)

8244
25
Jump to solution
12-13-2012 06:17 AM
deleted-user-Ohz6rwd1kavx
New Contributor III
Hi

We are upgrading to ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1 from 10.0.

We have noticed a new problem where REST layer queries are failing every other request. It is quite strange, but you can reproduce it by simply reissuing requests in browser or Fiddler.

Here is an example request (can use &f=html also, same result).

http://serverx/arcgis/rest/services/foldery/servicez/MapServer/0/query?where=%28%28KeyInstn+in+%2810...

Every other request fails with this result (json):

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete operation.","details":[]}}

Clue:I started looking this while tracking down possible change to how ESRI is treating OutputFields in 10.1 compared to 10.0.

Anybody else seeing this?

Any recommendations on where to check next to narrow this one down?

Thanks,

-Cory
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
HaroldBostic
Occasional Contributor II
This issue have been resolved in 10.2, for those at 10.1 using the Flex API, you can use the hack listed here http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/flex/help/index.html#//017p00000016000000 by which you can set the token paramenter to anything in order to force a POST request.
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
This issue pops up when you add a feature layer to a map too (using JSAPI at least).  In that case, how would I add a time stamp to alter the query string ?

Thanks, TG
0 Kudos
deleted-user-Ohz6rwd1kavx
New Contributor III
Hi Terry

Does this property (or something similar) exist on the java script FeatureLayer?

FeatureLayer.DisableClientCaching = true

This was one solution to this problem in the Silverlight world. Works for us here anyway.

After setting this property, we checked Fiddler and found that the esri framework was adding a timestamp to the 'query' request underlying the client-side FeatureLayer. This makes each the request unique and works around the issue being discussed.

-Cory
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
Cory,

Thanks for the idea but there's no equivalent to disableClientCaching in the JS API. I've used that in the SL api in the past to make sure data from a feature layer based on a  query layer (pulling lat/longs from SQL server) would refresh after the underlying DB was updated.

TG
0 Kudos
BenSainsbury1
New Contributor
Pathetic! not upgrading to 10.2 to fix this....
0 Kudos
raffia
by
New Contributor II
Hello;

Any updates to this thread? It is driving me crazy how can one simply upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 an just because of that all hell breaks loose. I am using a file GDB and Flex API and the apps are throwing errors left and right
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
Cory,

Thanks for the idea but there's no equivalent to disableClientCaching in the JS API. I've used that in the SL api in the past to make sure data from a feature layer based on a  query layer (pulling lat/longs from SQL server) would refresh after the underlying DB was updated.

TG


Terry, did you ever get anything for this in the JS API? Or did you force it to use a POST, if so how did you go about doing that? I as well can't upgrade to 10.2 for this..
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
Luke,

I moved the data for that service from a file geoDB into SDE and it seemed to solve the problem.  But I found out the other day that our SDE license expired so I had to switch back to the file geoDB and every other request failure.  Haven't moved to 10.2 yet so cannot say for sure that'll fix it.  I'm lucky though as the service is just for an internal demonstration site.
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
That worked - I moved the table back into SDE and now I do not get the error.
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
Update -

Esri released a Quality Improvement Patch for 10.1 SP1 (desktop, engine, & server) at the end of January 2014.  You can find it in the Support -> Patches and Service Packs pages here.  In the 15 pages of issued addressed is NIM086349 which SKMoore identified above as the problem.

Hope this helps, seems to have fixed the issue on my server.

Terry
0 Kudos