Model builder: Avoiding having output error why applying “make feature layer” tool in model,

Jump to solution
02-15-2017 01:26 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Model builder: Avoiding having output error why applying “make feature layer” tool in model,

As per the screenshot below, each time I run the model by opening it, I got an output error for the “make feature layer” tool. How come the ArcMap says that the layer is already exist while the output of the “make feature layer” tool is supposed to be on the fly?

Is there a way to avoid such error and thus not asked to change the name of the output to have the model run successfully?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

overwrite outputs ?? what are your environment settings globally? and exposed within the model parameters?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

overwrite outputs ?? what are your environment settings globally? and exposed within the model parameters?

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan.

I’m still having a warning despite the fact that I have checked the “overwrite the output…” option as shown in the screenshot below

How this warning might be eliminated?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is just a warning, not an error, there is no modelbuilder tool to supress warnings

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

A question - is the goal to produce a feature class for use beyond just as another input to the existing model?  If so, don't worry about naming the output here; instead add a Copy Features following the Make Feature Layer and name it there.  What I'm thinking is that you are getting the error because the model creates it in temporary workspace whenever the model is run.  So if the model was already run once, it already exists.

From the Make Feature Layer Help (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) )

Summary

Creates a feature layer from an input feature class or layer file. The layer that is created by the tool is temporary and will not persist after the session ends unless the layer is saved to disk or the map document is saved.

Usage

• The temporary feature layer can be saved as a layer file using the Save To Layer File tool or can be saved as a new feature class using the Copy Features tool.

Chris Donohue, GISP

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Also, it looks like the warning you are getting is expected behavior.  Note - I added the underline to the tool help below:

Overwriting tool output

The Overwrite the outputs of geoprocessing operations check box controls whether tools automatically overwrite any existing output when run. When it is checked, you receive a warning before tool execution that the output exists, but the tool executes and overwrites the output dataset. With this option off, existing outputs are not overwritten, and the tool displays an error, preventing you from executing the tool.

Source:  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  - Using geoprocessing options to control tool execution

Chris Donohue, GISP

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chris, I think Jamal doesn't want the warning in the first place... which I can't find any where to supress this. So it is working as designed.  Unless I have read him wrong

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

That was my read also, that the Warning was undesirable.

If anyone figures out how to suppress it, I'd be curious to hear it as I can see how it can cause confusion.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you guys for the help.

Correct. I wanted here just to remove the warning icon to avoid confusion. From your valuable input, I got that this is by design

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might want to mark it answered, or assumed answered if none was the correct answer