Min and Max instances for Publishing Tools geoprocessing service

Jump to solution
05-23-2021 10:01 AM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor II

In the System folder in ArcGIS Server Manager there are the Publishing Tools - a geoprocessing service that is required to publish map services.  Here are the deails of our Publishing Tools running on our 3 server site:

PublishingTools (Geoprocessing Service) 
The PublishingTools service is used by ArcGIS Server to publish service definition files as services.
Instance Type:Dedicated
Instances Running:3
Instances in Use:0
Maximum Instances:6

The service parameters are set to minimum instances = 1 and maximum instances = 2.  Therefore, across all three servers we get "Instances Running: 3" and "Maximum Instances: 6".  That seems excessive to me.  Publishing map services is a very occassional task and there is always only one person publishing services.

Could the instances be set to min=0 and max=1 to reduce server load? or would min=1 and max=1 be better?  Othern than having to wait for the Publishing Tools geoprocessing service to spin up are there other drawbacks to setting min instances=0?

Thanks,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Contributor

Because you have 3 ArcGIS Server nodes joined to a site, each node gets set at min =1 max =2 in case one of them were to go down.  That's where the 3 & 6 come from, respectively and it's not that a single machine (node) has 3 instances up and running.  A joined site shares the resources across all included machines.  Setting the min instances to 0 can cause a slight delay while the site spins up an instance to be used, but I wouldn't reduce the max instances to anything less than 3 (one instance per node in the site).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Contributor

Because you have 3 ArcGIS Server nodes joined to a site, each node gets set at min =1 max =2 in case one of them were to go down.  That's where the 3 & 6 come from, respectively and it's not that a single machine (node) has 3 instances up and running.  A joined site shares the resources across all included machines.  Setting the min instances to 0 can cause a slight delay while the site spins up an instance to be used, but I wouldn't reduce the max instances to anything less than 3 (one instance per node in the site).

View solution in original post

berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor II

Reese, thanks for your reply.  Since the Publishing Tools geoprocessing service is only used by the GIS staff I don't mind causing a slight delay in the service publishing process.  I would be more hesitant to make changes that would affect our end users - the Public.  We are running a lot of services on these machines so saving a bit of computing resources here and there will make a difference.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem changing defaults when there is a compelling reason, but I don't think that is the case here.  Having a single ArcSOC running all the time on each machine for publishing has little to no impact on ArcGIS Server on a machine, so I would leave well enough alone.

0 Kudos