Migrate publishing from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for existing services

03-13-2018 11:14 AM
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

Problem summary

Migrating to service publishing from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro following federation leads to profound failure when attempting to use ArcGIS Pro to update/overwrite a service published by ArcMap pre-federation. 

Background

I am testing migration to ArcGIS Enterprise with ArcGIS Server federated to Portal, and I've run into a problem related to migration of publishing services from ArcMap pre-federation to ArcGIS Pro post-federation.  I'm running ArcGIS 10.5.1 on Windows servers for all components.

The test configuration is a single server ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 installation with all the usual components. Prior to federating the ArcGIS Server in this environment I published a number of services from ArcMap and registered them as items in Portal to mimic the production environment and to observe the effects of federation. After federating, as was expected, each service was registered as a new item, effectively duplicating the existing one. 

Here comes the problem

I wanted to explore, post-federation, how service updates were to be handled.  If I update a service MXD in ArcMap (10.4.1), say by changing symbology, and then overwrite the service by publishing again from ArcMap, all is well.  But, the intent is to migrate to ArcGIS Pro in concert with the new Enterprise configuration.  So, I imported the MXD into ArcGIS Pro (2.1.2) and attempted to update and overwrite the service, selecting the Portal item that was registered during federation, and the result was a catastrophic failure. The service was stopped (and not updated), and because it was stopped, the registered items in Portal no longer had a working source.  Meanwhile, If I publish from ArcGIS Pro as a NEW service, it works fine, so my MXD import does not seem to be a problem, but publishing a new service is not what I want.

So, is this a bug that should be addressed by Esri?  The failure is not at all graceful.  If this is never meant to be, then what is the prescribed method to migrate from ArcMap publishing to ArcGIS Pro publishing to update existing services that were then federated?

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

This has been logged as a bug.

0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

This BUG-000112935 is designated as fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.

0 Kudos