MapService drawing lost custom element

12-04-2012 02:06 AM
lunlee
by
New Contributor
Hi everyone,
    I have a annotation feature layer using a custom element.The custom element is supported by a DLL file.I registered the DLL file by microsoft .net 'regasm' in command line,and ArcMap displays the custom element as I expected.
    So I decided to publish the .mxd file to ArcGIS Server 10.1.When I preview the map,the custom element disappeared.I think it's must be the custom element that causes the problem.Anyone can help me to figure this out?

lun li.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19697[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
TiCrossman
New Contributor
Hello Pete,

We, too, have a problem with annotations that do not draw in a map service.  The anno looks fine in ArcMap.  (I know the rendering engines are different.)  In your last response above, Pete, you mention that you noticed the annotation elements in question had nothing more than some line graphics and text elements.  In our annotation, each piece of annotation is made up of one or more rectangular graphics and one or more text elements all then put into a GroupElement and stored in an annotation feature.  The problem is that some annotation draws (or only parts of individual pieces draw) and some doesn't, and it is not clear what the cause is.  I have been testing various annotation configurations, and I am beginning to suspect a graphic drawing order effect and/or a limit on the number of component GraphicElements/TextElements inside a GroupElement that the map service can handle.  Do you have any information or ideas to offer about possible limitations or drawing order requirements or idiosyncrasies that a map service has?  Thank you, Pete--or anyone else who might assist--I very much appreciate any help I can get with this tricky and frustrating problem.

Cheers,    Ti

Vitals:
Windows Server 2008
ArcGIS Server 10.1
ReST API
Flex viewer
0 Kudos
PeterYurkosky1
Occasional Contributor
Ti, if you could zip up an example that I can try out, I'll take a look at why it doesn't draw. Send me a private message.
0 Kudos
TiCrossman
New Contributor
Thank you, Pete.  I will send you a personal message with samples shortly.  After our investigation I will post the results here.

Ti
0 Kudos
TiCrossman
New Contributor
Great thanks to Pete Yurkosky for his investigations -- a truly valuable man.  Here are the results:

Due to a bug, the ESRI optimized map service in 10.1 cannot handle nested groups, i.e. GroupElements within a GroupElement.  Our signage annotation, with which we have had the non-drawing problem, in most cases is made up of grouped subsets of graphic shapes and text boxes, all grouped together in a single, enclosing GroupElement for storage in the annotation feature.  The map service will ignore GroupElements within the overall GroupElement; therefore, if a piece of annotation consists entirely of subgroups all grouped together, then the subgroups are ignored, and the annotation doesn't draw at all.  If there are both ungrouped and grouped elements in the annotation feature, only the ungrouped elements will draw.  Pete found a simple code fix for this bug and will be registering it to be fixed in the next release (read 10.2).

Thanks again to Mr. Yurkosky.

Cheers,

Ti Crossman
GIS Analyst
Grafton Technologies, Inc.
Newburyport, MA
0 Kudos