Map Service publishing problem

02-16-2015 12:16 PM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Ok, so I have begun the process of publishing a map service, however, I have ran into a few problems which is not allowing me to publish a map service through ArcGIS Desktop. I get the error shown in the first attachment (Map Service Publish Fail).

However, I was able to publish a service on the ArcGIS manager side via a 'Service Definition.' However, I experienced a problem where ArcMap was not allowing me to add the service/layer to ArcMap, second attachment (Cannot add service).

I am trying to publish a feature service that will allow the viewer to see .pdf attachments.

I am using desktop version 10.2.2 & ArcGIS Server 10.3, windows & SQL.

Any thoughts, comments or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chad

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JasonTipton

Is your publishing service running on your server? Look at the manger > System > Publishing tools to make sure it is running. Make sure you can get to http://yourserver:6080/arcgis/rest/services/System/PublishingTools/GPServer . If both of those seem normal, your publishing service should be running.

Do you have multiple clusters? If so, is your Publishing Tools set to the default cluster?

Are you publishing into a new Folder that you are creating at the same time as this new service? I've had issues with this where it "fails" but it actually seemed to succeed, but you keep trying from ArcMap to publish it, b/c you don't know it actually succeeded. It keeps throwing an error b/c it is trying to publish a new service into a new folder, but both actually exist. If you close ArcMap and start over and choose overwrite existing service, it will work, but I usually remove the service anyway and republish for good measure.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

Hi Jason,

identical experience here regarding publishing and folder-creation behavior. If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to store your config-store and server directories? Does it happen to be an Isilon device? Thanks, Tobias

0 Kudos
JasonTipton

Have no idea. All I'm told is that it is network storage.

I have found that having your publishing tools running in any cluster other than "default" will cause this issue. In fact, anything I tried while using multiple clusters generally ended in an error at some point. (ArcServer 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Jason:

With multiple clusters, where you able to publish directly on the server rather than by linking from ArcDesktop?

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

I can't see your documents but I do know that on our servers, we often have to manually open up the firewalls for port 6080...

If it's a windows server, Administrative Tools: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

Look at incoming ports and make sure you have a rule that allows Port 6080  (assuming you're using the default ports)

0 Kudos