Manage tile cache, anti-aliasing

02-07-2017 03:20 PM
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

I am working on creating a tile cache that I will publish with ArcGIS Server, but I am using Desktop (version 10.3.1) to create the tile cache.  I've used the Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme and Manage Tile Cache tools for this, but I don't see any options for controlling the anti-aliasing.  I want to force text anti-aliasing and have the map AA set to "best".  I can go into the tiling scheme xml file and enable antialiasing, but I don't know how to set it to "best".  I am assuming that it is using a setting other than "best" because I don't think the tiles come out looking as good as they should.  Anyone figured this out?

13 Replies
MikeBrouillette
New Contributor

Hey Ryan a couple more follow ups - is your service public so I can review it and share with the team? Finally, did you assess how much larger the AA cache was vs non-AA? ..or did it have any affect at all? The test cache I created over the weekend on the current coverage of 1’ contours resulted in 165Gb so I have to be mindful of disk space given our limited resources.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

I can message the url to you so you can check it out.  I think you have to follow me to allow private messages though.  I didn't assess the file size difference.  Running your own test on a small area would probably do a better job of answering your questions 

0 Kudos
MikeBrouillette
New Contributor

Hey Ryan

I'm running those tests now as prbbly best to see results of my own data. I've combined xml hack w switch from maplex to standard label engine - big jump in cache creation time. Will run another test w just xml hack

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
JimJohansen
New Contributor II

I like to create hosted tile layers in ArcGIS Online (Share As Web Layer, Tiles, Cache Locally) using ArcGIS Pro (2.4.1). Whenever I update I have to create a new layer and update the URLs in my web maps. I do this because the default Share As Web Layer settings use the local machine's high graphics settings (pic below). If I run the geoprocessing tools to create and replace the hosted tiles, then I get to utilize many cores and the URL stays the same, but the line/text rendering is poor (even with <Antialiasing>true</Antialiasing>).

It would be fantastic if I could adjust graphics settings when using the geoprocessing tool, or if the tool would default to the machine's local settings.