Select to view content in your preferred language

Manage Map Cache Tile: Errors at 10.3

01-16-2015 10:48 AM
DavidColey
Honored Contributor

A continuation of -

Manage Map Cache Tile: Errors at 10.2.2

Since we are moving to 10.3, I thought I'd re-post the discussion to keep it current with the 10.3 release.  Unfortunately, at this time the error on bundle move is still occurring when the cache service is in use or under load.  Although the 10.3 release is thus far proving to be more efficient and responsive this error still occurs.  Overwriting cache services has stabilized however with the re-inclusion of the 'Keep Existing Cache' parameter at overwrite, and overall communication between the desktop and the server directories is much improved, at least on our network.

In general, (because I can allow my basemaps to be offline for a couple hours each week or each month) I have adopted a modified strategy where I stop the service, set the service to private (Admin role access), start the service, and begin caching - all via python scripts run through task scheduler.

I think I prefer this to my previous method of storing both a private service and cache and a public service and cache, then caching to private, stopping the site, and overwriting the bundles via an OS xcopy.

Hopefully esri will keep trying to solve this issue!

David

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

David:

Would you know if ArcGIS for Server v10.3.1 comes already with the ArcGIS 10.3 for Server Map Cache Consumption Patch?  I upgraded straight to v10.3.1 from v10.2.2 so I'm wondering if the issues associated with this patch were handled with the upgrade.

I'm planning on changing cache scales on existing tiled mapservices and I'm just wondering if I will have issues under load as I had no problems in my test environment, but no one is really hitting that service in test like production is being hit.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael, no I did not and have not encountered any issues at 10.3 or 10.31 and I've been running weekly cache updates since sometime last year.  The consumption patch was included at 10.3 and at 10.3.1.

0 Kudos
ChrisRobinson
Occasional Contributor

All,

I had been plagued by the "Failed to cache extent:" error for the better part of a year now while on ArcGIS for server 10.2.x. Most every time I would try and rebuild it would throw the error, most of the times at different scales and different extents.    I too had come to the work around for creating a batch file that stops the ArcGIS Server service, then delete all cache tiles while keeping the scale level folders in tact, starting the ArcGIS Server service and then rebuilding the cache.  It always seemed to work on a full rebuild when there were no existing tiles.  I had even put a ticket in with ESRI to have them look to which we never found a concrete solution so the ticket was eventually closed.  I chalked it up to be that it was something with my data that was causing it.

I happened to stumble across this thread yesterday (was lead here by the 10.2.2 thread discussing OPLocks)  and applied the patch to a 10.3 server and have been able to rebuild all my caches so far without the "Failed to cache extent:" error displaying.

Thank you all for contributing to these threads as they do really help others to work through similar issues.

Chris

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor

Sounds good.  I am also happy to report no caching errors regardless of scenario (new, rebuild, AOI use) at 10.4.  I expect that will continue at 10.4.1

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great stuff, David.

I just used your method of stopping the ArcGISServer.exe service and was able to delete the locked bundle files.

We're still on ArcGIS 10.1SP1, will be upgrading to 10.3.1 in the near future!

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor

sounds good.  I'm moving to 10.4 shortly in my dev environment and will report any difficulties,etc

0 Kudos