magicKey doesn't work with custom composite locator

Jump to solution
08-08-2019 02:34 PM
LeonZhong
New Contributor II

Hi,

I published a composite locator from arcGIS Pro to ArcGIS server. Everything looks fine except magicKey.

For example, first call sugguestion:

Then call findCandidate:

I just copy the text from suggestion to SingleLine and also copy magicKey as well.

Anybody has same issue before?

Thank you,

Leon Zhong

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  You have uncovered an issue with composite locators that contain locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro.  Unfortunately a fix for this issue was did not make it into 10.7.1 but good news is we have created a general patch that fixes this issue as well as a few other issues that were found.  The patch can be found here:

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 General Geocoding Patch 

At this time the patch is only for 10.7.1.

Thanks,

Brad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
PhilLarkin1
Occasional Contributor III

I can replicate this issue with a ArcGIS Pro 2.4 Composite locator published to ArcGIS Server 10.7. MagicKey functionality on 10.3.1 server composite locator returns correct results. 

0 Kudos
LeonZhong
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

My composite locator was created with ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 and published to ArcGIS Server 10.7.

I just caught this issue when I tested Portal for ArcGIS 10.7. I set this locator as default locator for Portal, when I entered address in search box on Portal, it listed a bunch of suggestion addresses. But it returned "no location for this address" when I chose one of them.

If I ignore the suggestion and just use Enter after the address, it works. I tracked this request on ArcGIS Server and found the request string is SinglineInput="....."&magicKey="magickey".

So weird!

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  You have uncovered an issue with composite locators that contain locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro.  Unfortunately a fix for this issue was did not make it into 10.7.1 but good news is we have created a general patch that fixes this issue as well as a few other issues that were found.  The patch can be found here:

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 General Geocoding Patch 

At this time the patch is only for 10.7.1.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
LeonZhong
New Contributor II

I can't believe I caught another issue for composite locator again, OMG!

Good to know ESRI has fixed this for 10.7.1 but hopefully there is a patch for 10.7 soon. 

Thank you, Brad.

Leon Zhong

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Leon,

We typically don't patch "dot" releases once a "sub-dot" release is already out with a fix or a patch (like is the case here).  That doesn't mean we can't, we just hadn't planned on it.  Is moving to 10.7.1 not an option for you?

Brad

0 Kudos
LeonZhong
New Contributor II

Hi Brad,

I just upgraded to 10.7 a couple of months ago and so much work to do after upgrading.

I will try to do another upgrading since 10.7.1 is the only solution.

Thanks a million,

Leon

0 Kudos
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

Brad,

Does the patch also cover a composite locator NOT returning a suggestion for a "place name" locator? I have a composite locator with street range locator and a place name location. I can geocode by styles in the "find address candidate" method. But if I use suggestion and try the place name, nothing is returned.

I used ArcMap 10.6.1 to create the locators and published to Server 10.6.1

Thanks.

John

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

John,

This patch is not for locators created with the Create Address Locator tool (in ArcMap and Pro), only for locators created with the new Create Locator tool in Pro.

I would need more details from you to understand what the issue you are having with, as we call them, the classic locators.  What style did you use to build the locator?  What is an example of the input data, the field mapping, the input placename you are trying to get a suggestion for?

Brad

0 Kudos
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

Brad,

I have created a street style locator from a roads layer, and I have create a city style locator from a place names layer (in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1). When I use both locators in ArcGIS Pro, I get suggestions from both locators as I search.

I created a composite address locator in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 with the above two locators. The composite locator does not return suggestions when used in ArcGIS Pro. If I type in a search and hit “enter” I do get valid geocodes returned, but I do not get suggestions.

The ArcGIS Pro documentation states locators can be used in a composite address locator:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/geocoding/create-locator.htm

Is this a limitation that suggestions are not returned if a composite address locator is used?

I assume I would see the same behavior if I published this to ArcGIS Server 10.6.1.

Thanks.

John

0 Kudos