Locked out of ArcGIS Manager / Admin

Jump to solution
07-09-2012 09:19 AM
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
So I was reading the Best practices for configuring a secure environment in the 10.1 server helpfiles and decided to disable the primary site administrator account.  (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Disabling_the_primary_site_administrator_account/015...)

Yes, I had other admin accounts set-up already and I was logging in fine with them prior to disabling the primary site admin account, but after disabling that account I cannot logon to ArcGIS manager or the ArcGIS admin pages. 

Is there any way to undo this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PF1
by
Occasional Contributor II
So I was reading the Best practices for configuring a secure environment in the 10.1 server helpfiles and decided to disable the primary site administrator account.  (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Disabling_the_primary_site_administrator_account/015...)

Yes, I had other admin accounts set-up already and I was logging in fine with them prior to disabling the primary site admin account, but after disabling that account I cannot logon to ArcGIS manager or the ArcGIS admin pages. 

Can you login to the location of your configuration store and navigate to 'security->super' folder. 

Backup the super.json file

edit the super.json file and set the value
"disabled": true

Not sure if that will work, but its worth a shot.  The site might need to be shut-down to access or change this file.  You might need to login with the AD (or local) account you used when building the ArcGIS Server. I would try this in your dev/test environment first to see if it solves the problem...

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PF1
by

Can you login to the location of your configuration store and navigate to 'security->super' folder. 

Backup the super.json file

edit the super.json file and set the value
"disabled": true

Not sure if that will work, but its worth a shot.  The site might need to be shut-down to access or change this file.  You might need to login with the AD (or local) account you used when building the ArcGIS Server. I would try this in your dev/test environment first to see if it solves the problem...

Best of luck!
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Thank-you! Thank-you!  Thank-you!

This worked.  I still couldn't logon with my account after making this change, but I was able to logon with the primary administrator account again.  It looks like when I disable the account it cleared out my administrator role for some reason... I don't know if it was just a freak occurrence or if this is an actual issue, but your tip saved my day!
0 Kudos
PF1
by
Thank-you! Thank-you!  Thank-you!

This worked.  I still couldn't logon with my account after making this change, but I was able to logon with the primary administrator account again.  It looks like when I disable the account it cleared out my administrator role for some reason... I don't know if it was just a freak occurrence or if this is an actual issue, but your tip saved my day!

Good to know!  were you able to edit the .json file while the server was running?  If so did you have to restart the ArcGIS Server for that setting to take effect?

I've thought about disabling that account also (as reccomended per ESRI), but was worried about what happened if all my admins got locked out for some reason.  At least there is a way to re-store without having to completly re-install!

And for clarification: the "disabled" value should be set to 'false' to re-enable it 😉

Regards,
Patrick
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Good to know!  were you able to edit the .json file while the server was running?  If so did you have to restart the ArcGIS Server for that setting to take effect?

I've thought about disabling that account also (as reccomended per ESRI), but was worried about what happened if all my admins got locked out for some reason.  At least there is a way to re-store without having to completly re-install!

And for clarification: the "disabled" value should be set to 'false' to re-enable it 😉

Regards,
Patrick

Yes, I edited the .json file and changed the value to false, then restarted the ArcGIS Server service and was then able to logon.
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Yes, I edited the .json file and changed the value to false, then restarted the ArcGIS Server service and was then able to logon.

As a side note, I was able to duplicate this issue.  After I disable the primary site administrator account, if I make any changes to the Administrator role it will clear all users from that role and log me out leaving me unable to login with any accounts.  I don't know if this is unique to my setup, but to be safe, if you do ever need to make changes to the Administrator role, make sure you re-enable the primary site administrator account first.
0 Kudos
AnjithaSenarath5
New Contributor II

Do the following if your site admin account locked

Open command prompt with administrator privilege

1) locate your Arcgis installation folder and navigate to tools for reset password.

eg:

cd "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset"

2) Reset password with below command  (this will reset your password and enable site admin account)

passwordreset -p mynewpassword

3) Go to windows Services (if Other OS then please check how to restart ArcGIS services) restart ArcGIS services

For More :

ArcGIS Help 10.1