locator bug with numbers?

12-04-2019 09:19 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi GeoNet braintrust,

I think there might be a bug with locators and numbers. If I search for 11048E04001 in the Search widget, or even the Esri REST endpoint for our Parcel ID Number (PIN) locator, it gives an error. https://public.sagis.org/arcgis/rest/services/Locator/PIN/GeocodeServer/findAddressCandidates

Change the letter E to an A and it works. In fact, the actual PIN even comes up, of 11048E04001! Maybe it is a scientific notation issue with the REST API?  Although it is a string field of course, as there are many PINs with letters. That was our only thought. Or maybe it is the magickey? Which I have seen cause trouble in other instances such as the rooftop parameter.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcGIS Enterprise are you using?

Have you looked into the ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 General Geocoding Patch if you are at 10.7.1?https://support.esri.com/en/download/7718

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

10.5.1. We will be going 10.7.1/10.8 a few months in to next year. I hope a large-number change to hot fix an issue like this is not needed though if it is in fact a bug.  

However that patch is unrelated, as it is specific to Create Address Locator and Pro. It appears that is to fix the problems I found with Create Address Locator tool and the Ghost result bug in Suggestions.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We removed dashes from our PINs. And also if numbers are close but not the exact right PIN number when users type it in, I would prefer to use a Locator, vs featureLayer direct query. As a Locator logic should be better and more forgiving of spelling.  Because of this issue I guess I'll put our layer on AGOL and hit it as a featureLayer. It is not generating revenue since we don't use all our credits, but it is using Esri's bandwidth. Most counties have a PIN in their parcels. Scale this out globally and it could be millions of counties in the same boat and so it would seem to be a good business case for Esri to fix the number singlefield so we can host it on premise.   When / how / will this be addressed and in what version(s) of Enterprise? 

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

This issue was already fixed in 10.7 Enterprise.

Brad

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Brad Niemand  We hope to be updating Enterprise soon. Do I need to publish from Pro with Create Locator?

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

This issue is not specific to the locator actually, it was something in the Enterprise framework code so the type of locator or where you publish it from doesn't matter.

Brad