Licensing/Software Needed For SQL Server Connection To Enterprise ArcGIS Server With Portal?

Jump to solution
10-24-2019 11:44 AM
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

My company is looking into transitioning from MapInfo to ArcGIS Enterprise ArcPro With Portal. We would like to use Enterprise Geodatabases in Sql Server as well as the Portal Data Stores. The sql server will be hosted on a separate server from the primary ArcGIS Server. Portal will be hosted on its own server. The relational Data Store will be hosted on the primary ArcGIS Server.

What licensing or additional software is needed to connect the sql server as an enterprise geodatabase to the ArcGIS server, Portal server, and Data Store? I understand that an ArcGIS client is needed for the sql server and a sql server client is needed on the ArcGIS server. But I do not know what else is involved. Is a separate ArcGIS license needed for the sql server? Is just a free download needed to configure the sql server and input the primary ArcGIS server license key? Are there specific core requirements? RAM? Disk Space? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tiffany,

A1) Enterprise Builder only enables you to deploy on a single machine. For a multi-machine deployment, you will have to do it "manually" - e.g., install each component yourself, or you could use an automation method (i.e., scripting)

A2) You can obtain a "regular" SQL Server DBMS license from Microsoft.

A3) In this case, "the sql server hardware requirements" - this really depends on your database needs. You'll be running the enterprise geodatabase on the SQL Server instance, so I would try to optimize and match these recommendations

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Tiffany,

> What licensing or additional software is needed to connect the sql server as an enterprise geodatabase to the ArcGIS server, Portal server, and Data Store?

Based on what you've posted, if you get ArcGIS Enterprise Standard or Advanced, then you will be able to set-up and install all 4 items: Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Data Store, and an enterprise geodatabase.

This is a good resource to help guide you on what functionality is available at which license level,

ArcGIS Enterprise Functionality Matrix whitepaper

> Is a separate ArcGIS license needed for the sql server?

If you intend to deploy an enterprise geodatabase on a SQL Server instance, then yes - you will need to purchase a SQL Server license. FYI, some background on enterprise geodatabases on SQL Server,

Create a geodatabase in SQL Server—Manage geodatabases in SQL Server | ArcGIS Desktop 

> Are there specific core requirements? RAM? Disk Space? 

This will depend on what kind of implementation you plan on deploying for ArcGIS Enterprise. I would start here,

ArcGIS Enterprise Builder 10.7.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements

Another good resource,

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 quick start guide—Quick Start Guides | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps,

TiffanySelvidge1

Thank you for your response.

I have a couple follow-up questions:

1) Just to double-check, I noticed in the whitepaper that the enterprise builder (which we do plan on using) is listed as a single-machine deployment. We have been considering a multi-machine deployment. As long as we purchase the additional servers and licenses, can the enterprise builder be configured to run multi-machine?

2) Is the sql server license required just a sql server license or an esri specific sql server license?

3) For the sql server hardware requirements, in an ideal world, should the setup mirror the ArcGIS Server hardware? Contain the minimum ArcGIS server requirements? Or whatever hardware seems to work with the enterprise at speeds we find acceptable?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Tiffany,

A1) Enterprise Builder only enables you to deploy on a single machine. For a multi-machine deployment, you will have to do it "manually" - e.g., install each component yourself, or you could use an automation method (i.e., scripting)

A2) You can obtain a "regular" SQL Server DBMS license from Microsoft.

A3) In this case, "the sql server hardware requirements" - this really depends on your database needs. You'll be running the enterprise geodatabase on the SQL Server instance, so I would try to optimize and match these recommendations

Hope this helps,

TiffanySelvidge1

That does help. Thank you.

It may be basic but I have been trying to figure out the sql server license and requirements for a while now. It is nice to finally have it cleared up.

The enterprise builder information is also good to know. We haven't completely committed to multi but it is helpful to know the options and what will be needed so that we can make an informed decision.