License Manager Option File - How to Checkout/Borrow Specific Licenses?

01-26-2015 09:30 PM
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I have a very specific scenario which I want to confirm does NOT work. What I would like to do is allow a specific license to be checked our OR borrowed and for that license I would like this ability to be available to only a specific group of people. To help illustrate I will give a link to the ESRI documentation and I will show the groups and types of licenses I want this accomplished with.

ESRI Doco here

That^ should describe the options file and how to use it. below are the things I have in the options file:

GROUP CartoGroup tzjohn epnewto gdtowse plulare fastuar kgjaela

GROUP EnginGroup pbgreld hjcruco rrdale dljacob tjhobsi

RESERVE 4 VIEWER GROUP CartoGroup

RESERVE 3 VIEWER GROUP EnginGroup

Now the above license server stores licenses from two different business groups. Their licenses belong to their group only and are NOT to be shared between each group. There are 7 Viewer licenses installed on the license server. What I want is for the CartoGroup to be able to BORROW two licenses however I want their 4 licenses to still only be reserved for them to be checked out. So I would think that the below configuration is closest to what I would want but it won't work.

GROUP CartoGroup tzjohn epnewto gdtowse plulare fastuar kgjaela

GROUP EnginGroup pbgreld hjcruco rrdale dljacob tjhobsi

RESERVE 3 VIEWER GROUP EnginGroup

INCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT EFL546888774-1010 GROUP CartoGroup

INCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT EFL224676441-1010 GROUP CartoGroup

The reason why the above settings won't work is because tzjohn and epnewto can BORROW a license which means their group is using two licenses. Then all the other users in the group could check out up to 4 licenses as well which leaves a total of 6 licences being used by the CartoGroup! The CartoGroup needs to only have access to BORROW/CHECK OUT up 4 licenses as once combined.

Does anyone know how to configure the options file so I can allow borrowing and checking out licenses for ONE group up to the amount of licenses they own?

Server: Windows 2008 r2

ArcGIS Server 10.2.2

ArcMap 10.2.2

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Almost, CartoGroup can already borrow and check out licenses. That is all working fine. The actual issue is that they can checkout and have borrowed more than 4 licenses which is not what we want.

Now if I go

INCLUDE 4 VIEWER GROUP CartoGroup

INCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT {PLACE ID HERE} GROUP CartoGroup

There is still a problem CartoGroup could have too many licenses.

0 Kudos
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Matthew,

I have seen issues with the RESERVE keyword not working as expected.  Have you tried to use the MAX keyword, either in conjunction with the RESERVE lines or instead of?

-Danny

0 Kudos
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Daniel, I have tried both these approaches which seemed to have no effect on the situation. At the present moment I am using RESERVE and MAX just to be sure everything is legit but the INCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT still mucks it up.

0 Kudos