Keep getting a warning in Server log says "Failed to log in"

05-17-2018 05:28 PM
QiranLiang
New Contributor III

I keep getting this warning that said "Failed to log in. Invalid username or password specified." Although during that time nobody is trying to login at all. 

This warning will appears every 5 seconds or so and it never stop. Anyone have any idea why it happens?

Tags (2)
22 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you expand on this a bit? So you had your prod environment and you then set up another machine, edited the etc\hosts file to match the prod URLs, installed and configured the software. Then you took a backup from prod and restored it to dev, then the error started appearing in prod? Once you deleted the dev environment, the errors went away?

0 Kudos
DianeMcGuerty1
New Contributor II

I created a new dev environment to match that of our Prod and then used the backup from server to do a ‘restore’ one the new machine. I had not done any edits to the ‘etc\hosts’

The test server is now gone but the error is still occurring. It looks like it started before this event at any rate.

Diane E. McGuerty

Applications Analyst - GIS

Information Technology

How can IT help you today?

NOTE: EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED

3299 Tamiami Trail East

Suite 600

Naples, FL 34112-5749

Phone: 239.252.6014

Cell: 239-315-1576

Fax: 239.252.6304

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Following our production upgrade issue, I set up an identical environment to prod on dev and modify etc/hosts entries to be able to restore webgisdr backup made before this upgrade as webgisdr was failing on production after the upgrade issue. I performed the upgrade to 10.7 on this dev environment and exported another 10.7 webgisdr backup. I then recreated all our production machines, installed directly 10.7, and import the webgisdr 10.7 backup. It worked ! What a relief !

For another reason I recreated dev environement and the errors were gone right after (I checked the manager logs). So these requests must have come from the dev environment. Thinking about it afterward, I think I may had reverted to the original etc/hosts file on dev without updating the portal urls (webContextUrl, private portal url). I am not 100% sure as the file was gone but I think it would make sense, wouldn't it ?

0 Kudos
EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

I get this error every 5 minutes. I suspect this is coming from Web Adaptor's regular polling of the server site (see here at 2nd paragraph).  I tried several things to no avail.  Changing Primary Site Admin account credentials, enabling Web Adaptor admin access, and re-configuring Web Adaptor didn't fix the login error.  This may be a bug in 10.6.1. 

0 Kudos
BillLotz
Occasional Contributor II

We first started seeing this after the upgrade from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1

0 Kudos
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm still getting a failed login every 5 mins. I decided to change the ArcGIS Server PSA account in Server Manager to a new user name and password. However I'm still getting log in attempts on the old PSA account username. By chance I tried to validate my datastores they all validated successfully in server manager returning green ticks. However when I checked my server logs I have 2 failed login attempts at the same time. The first is an attempt by the datastore to generate a token using the server machine name url on port 6443 not the webadaptor domain. The second is the standard login failure I'm getting. Jonathan Quinn could the issue be with the datastore trying to use the ArcGIS Server PSA account (I used this as the administrator account when I configured the datastore) Seems like everything was ok when the PSA account was enabled because the datastore could use the credentials to login ? 

Thanks,

Clinton

EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

Same here...  I turned off the ArcGIS Data Store service for a while just to confirm, and sure enough the login errors stopped. I started it back up and Relational and Tile Cache Data Stores validated in Server Manager just fine, but the login errors came back with original PSA enabled. Everything else seems to be working, so this may be an error that I'll just have to ignore for now.

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Data Store shouldn't store the PSA credentials as Server supports those credentials changing. It should establish a trust between itself and the Server. I think it's best to reach out to Support and describe the behavior to see if they can reproduce it.

0 Kudos
DianeMcGuerty1
New Contributor II

We have managed to get rid of the error...finally by removing the data store from the host ags server and re-installing the data store on the server and then re-adding it to the host server. All of the errors are now gone.

ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I logged the repeated failed login attempts with ESRI support. We couldn't get a resolution on what was causing the issue.

I ended up unregistering the datastore from the Hosting ArcGIS Server. I then uninstalled and reinstalled datastore and subsequently re registered it. This seems to have resolved the issue as I no longer have any attempted login attempts.

Thanks,

Clinton