It thinks my data source is not registered with the server. But it is! =( !

01-04-2017 08:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all. I've recently stood up a new ArcServer. I've posted a few test services that have gone well. I want to overwrite one, or even replace it, but I keep being told that:

!!!

I've registered it! I swear!

Why is this happening? How can I convince it I've really registered it?

Thanks in advance.

Joanna in Vermont

0 Kudos
18 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Joanna: Can you explain what you did to get your secured services to be properly registered with AGS?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

Secured services?  Or do you mean secure data, like enterprise databases?    You typically would register data or data connections, not services.

William's post seems like a better way to register....skips the manager site process.  Basically, if you have a connection that has the credentials and can access the data it should work.  We have an account that is internal only, with a password that doesn't expire and that is what we typically use.  Somethings that will work on both our dev and prod machines.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe try to see if the same behavior occurs if its not a secure service which might indicate the problem lies somewhere in the security of the service.

0 Kudos
williamporter
New Contributor II

I was given an easier way to register databases with the server by Bethany at Esri tech support: 

It obviates any chance of mis-spelling.  You start in ArcCatalog, choose your ArcGIS Server (admin) and select server properties -- [this is 'esri-speak' or elementary school teacher polite 'we' stuf].  I'm not this polite.

-In ArcMap, we right clicked the name of your connection to GISISS under "GIS Servers"
-We then clicked Server Properties
-We then clicked the Data Store tab
-We clicked the + button to add a new registered database
-We clicked "Import" and selected the connection to the geodatabase that we needed to register
-We clicked ok, and this resolved the error message you were seeing when publishing your map

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi William - I ran into this problem again today. I've been trying this exact method all along and I keep getting:

Why??? Any idea? Thx.

0 Kudos
williamporter
New Contributor II

There are too many variables. This is a task for an ESRI tech to log into your system and make it work.

I am not a data expert. In Spartanburg I get data from the County MS SQL/SDE data structure. What I know about SQL wouldn’t fill a thimble.

I had a problem where the GIS director could reach data that I coud see, but I kept getting errors on. That turned out to be ESRI ‘privileges,’ – permissions.

Rebooting your workstation (and server if you have that authority) sometimes clears errors.

One thing I have learned is that MXD files trash easily. Build a new, simple test MXD from scratch, do the data link from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server from Server properties and import the data from your workstation. If you have full control you should delete existing data connections from the server, then add them from ArcMap.

The test the application with the simplest couple of data sets.

To state the obvious:

The purpose of registering data is to make sure that your ArcMap MXD and ArcServer see the same data.

When I worked for a university, I didn’t use SQL or SDE. I didn’t do cadastral data.

All I had to do was either map my MXD to, for example, Z:\campus data then map ArcServer to the same data with the same pathing. It’s easiest if both machines see a third drive. When I first ran into registration I would create an D:\drive on my server and copy the data from the D:\drive of my workstation. That was a kludgy workaround, but it showed me the obvious: if ArcServer can use the path in the MXD and it finds data in the same place, it will use it.

The import system always works for me and ensures I don’t make spelling errors or select a similarly named SDE link file.

Bill Porter

Sr. GIS Analyst

GIS Addressing

Spartanburg County, SC

864 596 3257

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joanna,

> I ran into this problem again today. I've been trying this exact method all along and I keep getting:

Not sure how you fixed your original data store issue. But please try the following:

- Delete your data store reference in ArcGIS Server Manager;

- Re-start your GIS Server service;

- Delete the GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog/ArcMap;

- Re-create the GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog/ArcMap;

- Re-define the data store reference in ArcGIS Server Manager.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MandieWaldrop
New Contributor

I have this very thing happen to me...or I used to have it happen.

What I found was, for me (as prophesied by Bill), it had to do with the manner/connection with which I was connecting to the GDB from the MXD. If I was connected with the admin account (sa) I didn't have that problem, but something in my personal connection permissions makes me hit that same wall.

I have never spent the time to figure-out which permission it is exactly...I just have my publication MXD's that are set-up with connections through the sa account & all runs smoothly.

williamporter
New Contributor II

Permissions across the network My workstation, to the server, then to MS SQL/SDE files have driven me to great anger. I finally convinced my director to use admin permissions for both of us in ArcGIS and Freeance – and 90% of the problems are gone. It’s still easy to make a tiny mistake.

0 Kudos