issues witth Oracle 12.1 32 bit and 64 bit clients running on Windows 10 environment

07-28-2016 12:20 PM
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

I install 32 bit client and ArcGIS Desktop (arcCatalog) can access our Oracle SDE databases.  However, when I install the 64 bit client, I can get ArcGIS Pro to access the SDE Database but get client not running error with 32 bit ArcCatalog access.  Any suggestions?  Our IT department has banned 11.2 clients, which we did successfully get 11.2 32bit and 12.164bit to work together.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looping in the Geodatabase​ place.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

We will need more details...

What is the version of Oracle database (Example: Oracle 11.2.0.4 )

Version of ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro

Version of the Oracle Clients installed

Type of Oracle Client being used (Full Client or Instant Client)

In the Environment Variable, you need to place the 64-bit client ahead of the 32-bit Client to get both 64-bit and 32-bit Applications to work successfully.

0 Kudos
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

As stated Client versions are 12.1 32 and 64 bit, full clients. Hitting oracle 11.2 database. SDE version 10.2.2.

ArcGIS 10.3.3

Arcgis Pro 1.3

64 bit client is first in PATH.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you reverse the PATH order of the 32-bit and 64-bit client, I assume ArcMap will work, but I would be interested whether ArcGIS Pro still does.

0 Kudos
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

The issue is that when the 64 bit client is installed the user account loses rights to the 32 bit install folder. We have IT staff looking into issue. Just wondering if others had this issue and how it was resolved. Sounds like we have a security profile that is unique and causing the issue.

Irvin A Goldblatt

IDEM/IS 317-233-3410

0 Kudos
IrvinGoldblatt
New Contributor

Additional thought. As stated, 32 bit client worked until 64 bit installed. I am wondering if that is the issue. Are any users able to have both clients on a Windows 10 p=workstation work with Desktop and Pro?

0 Kudos
User35489
Occasional Contributor III

@ Irvin,

32 bit is required for connection. 64 bit probably is causing loss in connectivity.

I have 32 as well as 64 on my workstation. If you need to have both, try installing both in different sequence. It shall work.

0 Kudos