Issues caching an image service

04-16-2013 10:17 AM
SarahWach
New Contributor
Hello,

I am having problems using an area of interest shapefile when caching an image service. ArcGIS seems to be ignoring the shapefile and is caching the entire dataset.  Is there some other setting that needs changed besides adding the shapefile as an AOI?

Thanks

Sarah Wach
Manitoba Hydro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
We have done many times of updating caches based on area of interest.
There should be no issues. If there is something wrong, I think that is the problem of the shapefile.

Make sure the shapefile has the same spatial reference as the map service.
Make sure the features in the shapefile is correctly built. Sometime, even though there is only feature in a shapefile, the overview of the shapefile covers bigger areas than the features should cover.

That's my suggestion.

Good luck,

Mike

Hello,

I am having problems using an area of interest shapefile when caching an image service. ArcGIS seems to be ignoring the shapefile and is caching the entire dataset.  Is there some other setting that needs changed besides adding the shapefile as an AOI?

Thanks

Sarah Wach
Manitoba Hydro
0 Kudos
SarahWach
New Contributor
I changed the projection on my shapefile to match the service (the mosaic dataset is in UTM, but since I want to use the ArcGIS.com tiling scheme it is publishing the service in Web Mercator) It still isn't working. When you use an AOI polygon does it recalculate the estimated cache size?
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Quick answer: I never paid attention to the estimated cache size.

I use AOI to re-cache a map services tons of times and never have any issues.

I insist that there is a spatial reference issue among the dataframe of the MXD document, the AOI shapefile, and the map service. Make sure they all have the same spatial reference.

Good luck.

Mike

I changed the projection on my shapefile to match the service (the mosaic dataset is in UTM, but since I want to use the ArcGIS.com tiling scheme it is publishing the service in Web Mercator) It still isn't working. When you use an AOI polygon does it recalculate the estimated cache size?
0 Kudos