Issue with intermittent crashing of services

09-10-2017 06:59 PM
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have created Feature services in ArcGIS Server 10.5.1. Data is stored in SQL database (2014). I am getting the message below in the server logs about the services crashing. This seems to be happening intermittently to most of my services. It is also happening to the system\publishingtools  service.  It doesn't seem to affect the end user. For example users consuming the services through Collector (through ArcGIS online ) are not receiving any error messages. The error message is just occurring in the background in the server logs. I have checked in the location specified in the error message below but there does not seem to have been any error report created.

" Instance of the service 'OpsOutletsMV.MapServer' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in       'C:\arcgisserver\logs\SERVERNAME\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to       ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file"

The issue occurs only in our production environment and not in our development environment which suggests it could be something to do with the setup in our production environment. I have logged this with esri technical support but have not had any solution offered yet. Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions for where I should be looking. This has been happening for a couple of weeks and I have run out of ideas. 

Tags (1)
5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Support is likely the best avenue as they may have the tools to debug the crash dump and see what kind of call is causing the crash. What you can do in the meantime, though, is set the logs to debug and see what's happening right before the crash.  For example, if it crashes after there's a message about symbolizing data or drawing the data, that may point to a symbology or geometry related problem.

0 Kudos
TI
by

Thanks Jonathan. I have set the logs to debug to see whats happening before the crash. There doesn't seem to be any pattern in the messages before the service crash. I have sent them to esri support to have a look at. I'll see what they come back with.

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

I have seen these messages in the log a few times. On one occasion a user logged a call about the Collector App receiving the following errors shortly after the above log entry:

Error invoking service
Error generating token

Thsi was when he tried to use a webmap based on this feature service.

I'll keep an eye on this.

Using 10.3.1 with SQL Server 2014.

0 Kudos
WilliamChong
New Contributor

Hello, did you ever find a solution to your issues?

We have been having similar issues popup on our instance of 10.5.1 Server. We get similar error messages on services though our server takes an extra step. After those error messages, frequently, the entire server freezes and requires a restart in order to get it going again. Causing all services to be unable to load on maps. It's been happening for months now but only over the past week or two, this has started to occur 10+ times a day.

We started a ticket with Esri support however they haven't been able to narrow down the issue yet. This also only happens in our Production environment only.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

I haven't seen these problems for a while.

0 Kudos