Is there a way when using Analysis Tool (Extract) and how to control where extracted files go to from the portal page. I will like to control where user can save to, in order to create necessary process to clean up such old files. Currently all our user

08-07-2019 08:11 PM
BeeZeet
New Contributor II

Extract Tool and Portal

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bee,

It sounds like you are looking for a consolidated place to access and manage all results from the extract tool. Can you have your users share the results to a group and manage from there? You could also look at tags and categories to label items as extracted.

BeeZeet
New Contributor II

Hello Hillary, 

Can you possibly shed more light on the following questions please.

1.Is it possible to set a default folder for all items to extract to as you suggested?

2. We noticed that in order to grant extract capabilities, we also needed to make users publishers, is there a way around this, now or in the future?

3. Making all our endusers as publishers created a huge footprint and also a steep learning curve, because each user has to be walked through how to publsih, frankly we dont want them t publish, just to be able to extract the data they are working with if need be.

If anyone can share how they are implementing this, please do share.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bee,

May I ask the reasons your users need to create these large numbers of extracts? Are they using the data locally or integrating it with other systems or slicing it up in some way? Perhaps there are other workflows that could help them get to the data they need, whether it's hosted feature layer views, or other options. I think a little more context, if you can share, around these workflows would help determine how to tackle it. 

On the publisher note, you don't necessarily have to give them the full fledged publisher role - you could create a custom role, but you would still need to include the privileges to create/update/delete content, publish hosted feature layers, standard feature analysis, and any others relevant to the user.

Hilary

0 Kudos
BeeZeet
New Contributor II

The need to extract is mainly because this is the only avenue for them to get the datasets.  Considering that the extract tool allow them to extract data within just the are of interest, that data is then used in other applications and modeling tools.

How do you create a custom role as you described above.  I think we do not want our end users publishing it will be catastrophic.

in terms of the extract in case you have a better idea.  We have a web map that our end users use to view data, they then select an area of interest  via the drawing tool in the extract geoprcessing tool on the portal page, this selected data is what we are trying to have each user get, preferably locally so that they don’t clog up the portal service.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bee, do these other apps and tools work with REST services or do they need to extract data to work with a format that they can consume? Do admins/publishers know what kind of data end users need or is it more on the fly defined by end users? If you know in advance, I wonder if using something like hosted feature layer views could help.

Here is the doc topic on creating custom roles. You would still need to give users privileges to essentially create content (privileges don't get as fine grained as the tool itself - you'd need for a user to be able to create content, which means they can create/publish content in other means as well).

0 Kudos
BeeZeet
New Contributor II

Extracted data needs to be a shapefile.  I looked at the hosted feature layer and not too sure it will work for our purpose.

0 Kudos