Is there a way to download the entire help documents as pdf?

11-22-2015 08:57 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Is there a way to download the entire help documents as pdf?

I couldn’t figure out if there is a way to download the help documents as pdf format.

Clip_7.jpg

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
20 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No you can't.  Bookmark the page.  The reason? because they update it all the time.  You can even read it on a tablet...anywhere you can connect to wifi...help is at your finger tips.

Tip?  Make a bookmark for the main link...as you find more interesting stuff, make sublinks...the digital equivalent of sticky notes.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan that the most up to date help will be online.

Jamal, what is your goal?  If it is to just have local/offline help, although not in PDF form, help is included with your install locally, typically C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\help    But this will be a snapshot of the help that was released with the install.  It will not show any fixes or additional help that has been released.  Typically each tool has a link to the help also.

Previous versions of help online has a print and email link, but this still wasn't necessarily in PDF form

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Gone are the days when you would get actual books with the software and extensions.  Taking up a big chunk of my bookshelf at home is the many book that used to come with the software, like MapObjects Professional Edition, ArcView 8, Spatial Analyst (several versions), etc.

Now the expectation is that information on the software will be viewed live. Handy if you have multiple computers and reliable fast internet access, but can be limited otherwise.

I'd start by checking the suggestion byRebecca Strauch, GISP .  Look at the base install pdfs and see if that will suffice.  As mentioned by her and Dan, the online version will be the most up to date, so you may have to compare the base install ones with the online and note any changes.

Chris Donohue, GISP

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks guys for the help.

I’m aware of all the advantages of using the online help. However, I’m still wondering why there is no option to print the manual in pdf format.

For example, I want to have the chapters of ArcGIS Server in one pdf file to better referring to it with the comments I make.

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm sure the reason why is that PDFs are harder to keep up to date, and with all the cross-referenced hyperlinks in the help, a PDF isn't practical.   If you need to print out sections, you may need to go to a previos version of the help that had a print option and print to a PDF....of course then part of you notes would have to be what changed in the newer version.

another option fir getting a PDF is to take an instructor lead class....with an online version of the class, the books typically come in PDF.  Not the help, per se, but a PDF with plenty of info.

Esri Training

In in the long run, there may not be an answer to the question, and since they are moving away from the help I PDF formats, chances are it isn't coming back, unless nough people request it.  But I think more users are going paperless, so I'm sure they are just following the trend.  

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I do agreed 100% with what you have mentioned Rebecca.

All what I wanted is to have the pdf option available with all respect and appreciation for the new trend represented on the online help. I see no contradiction between keeping the old tools and offering new ones! It is then a matter of choice for the end user. Please, don’t deprive us from the right to choose!

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I use UDC (Universal Document Converter) to print web pages to pdf. Has been very useful.

But of course, I don't think it could walk through an entire help system automatically....

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is a matter of cost I am sure.  Maintaining a source/link that is update frequently is the reason that most new software has gone online and now there is a proliferation of free/commercial tools.  Just do a search using

"convert website to pdf freeware" .

I have never tried any since I have no need since I have a web-enabled device on me all the time.  Should you not be in web access, you probably won't need it anyway

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan,

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos