Is the datastore installed with the Portal Installation?

04-15-2019 10:31 AM
LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

I am attempting a manual single-server enterprise site installation, but the order of installation is listed in two different ways. The Enterprise tutorial (https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/get-started/latest/windows/tutorial-creating-your-first-web-gis-con...) says to install portal first - but when I attempt to create a site it says there is no datastore. Is that installed as part of the portal installation process?  The GeoNet  Deploy a full stack ArcGIS for Server Web GIS on a single machine article says to start with installing the GIS server. Would this prompt for a datastore installation with it? I am unable to use Enterprise Builder due to the way our software is licensed, but I am having a hard time getting the components work. Any help would be appreciated.

7 Replies
JohnBrockwell
Occasional Contributor III

The data store is a separate installation and pretty benign. It needs to be registered with ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Server can be federated with Portal for ArcGIS. Are you running ArcGIS Enterprise on a single machine or multiple?

0 Kudos
LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

I am installing on one machine for dev purposes and then separate machines for GeoEvent and STBDS. But nowhere do the instructions say to actually "install Datastore". I am assuming the datastore needed is the relational one for the portal, but nothing references it individually. Is the datastore installer a separate installation file?

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Yes, it is a separate install. For Example, ArcGIS_DataStore_Windows_1061_163980.exe

0 Kudos
LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

Ok, so now I am finding some articles that say to configure the GIS server and the Portal and then install the datastore... But you have to have a datastore in order to create the Portal site though, right? I went ahead and installed the GIS server and have created that initial site. The portal was installed but couldn't create a site. So now I need to find a 10.7 datastore installation file and install it and then link that to the portal?

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Portal doesn't have a pre-requisite. The install will run. If you want to perform routine analysis and copy data to your portal the data store is an option. It registers with ArcGIS Server under Data Stores. In Portal for ArcGIS, it connects or registers as a hosting server. All GUI based it should just find and accept the connection.

LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

So are you saying in 10.7 I can have a Portal site without having to install an arcgis-managed relational datastore for it? If that is the case, then what am I misunderstanding about why the Portal site would not create? Did it need the GIS server first?

Also, I cannot find where to locate the datastore installation media. Should it be under My esri or is it somewhere else since it is not required to license?

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Yes, It will work. You just have to register you own data stores, I.e. File Geodatabase, Enterprise Geodatabase. even a folder. The data store installation is in my esri under downloads. Click on ArcGIS Enterprise and you will see a download available.

Please Like, mark Helpful, or mark one comment as correct. Thanks