Is it recommended to upgrade AGS from 10.4.1 to 10.6?

02-03-2018 08:36 PM
AdityarajChavada
New Contributor III

Greetings,

We have a fairly straightforward environment with two servers allocated for ArcGIS Server. One is production and other is Development. I understand that it is not best practice and we should have server for Staging to cut down the downtime.

Anyways, we currently have ArcGIS Server Advanced 10.4.1 installed on production and ArcGIS Server Standard 10.4.1 on development. 

As the title suggests, my question here is related to upgrading existing ArcGIS server to the ArcGIS Enterprise. Is it okay to skip the version 10.5 and directly upgrade the AGS from 10.4.1 to 10.6? 

I would really appreciate any insight on the subject matter. Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Is it okay to skip the version 10.5 and directly upgrade the AGS from 10.4.1 to 10.6?

Sure, you can go ahead with the upgrade to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6. See the steps in Upgrade ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You must first obtain your new authorization files from My Esri before upgrading to 10.6. The authorization file (license codes) of ArcGIS Server 10.4.x won't work for ArcGIS Enterprise10.5 and later.

Think Location
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Also asked at GIS Stack Exchange.  The organizational preference part is still true.

Some sites prefer to upgrade to .1 releases, and skip from 10.4.1 to 10.5.1 to 10.6.1.  It really does depend on when you decide to upgrade, and what is available, and what local site testing indicates about the stability of your applications with the candidate version for upgrade.

Clients are usually upgraded before Server installs, so larger sites often take a while rolling out an upgrade across their enterprise.  Smaller sites have less inertia in the older release.

- V