Is it possible to connect F5 directly to “ Portal for ArcGIS” without ESRI Web Adaptor?

04-19-2016 10:25 AM
Shiuh-LinLee
New Contributor II

In my agency, we are using F5 to proxy external web services to our internal servers. Currently, we have no problems using F5 to proxy the external web services directly to our internal ArcGIS Server (10.3.1) without an ESRI Web Adaptor.

However, we really have problems to apply the similar proxy mechanism – using F5 to proxy the external URL directly to our internal “Portal for ArcGIS” (10.3.1).  As I read the link http://server.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/linux/about-the-arcgis-web-adaptor.htm (it states “Web Adaptor” is a required component for “Portal for ArcGIS”), I wonder whether there is a way to connect F5 directly to “Portal for ArcGIS” without an ESRI Web Adaptor?

Thanks.

6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can point a load balancer or reverse proxy directly to Portal without using the web adaptor.  In fact, that's a configuration recommendation if IWA is not being used; there's no need for an additional hop within the traffic.  This is a documentation issue that will be corrected.  Thanks for bringing it up.

0 Kudos
Shiuh-LinLee
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. We currently utilize F5 BIG-IP 4000 LTM load balancers to provide secure SSL proxy for all of our public facing web applications. Our goal is to use the F5 to connect directly to the ARCGIS Portal (Version 10.3.1 on Windows 2012 R2) and not have to use the ESRI Web Adapter. I wonder whether you can show me any document links (or examples) related to F5 (or simailr software) / ArcGIS Portal connection setup. Thanks.

We currently utilize F5 BIG-IP 4000 LTM load balancers to provide secure SSL proxy for all of our public facing web applications. Our goal is to use the F5 to connect directly to the ARCGIS Portal server and not have to use the ESRI Web Adapter server.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Have taken a look at the documentation on using a reverse proxy with Portal for ArcGIS?  One of the main steps is to set the WebContextURL to point to your F5 load balancer.  The help on configuring a highly available Portal also has some good information on what's required within the load balancer configuration.

0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

Found this blurb in the reverse proxy server instructions:

"Portal for ArcGIS requires the use of  ArcGIS Web Adaptor"

Nothing like this in the forward proxy server instructions

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out.  We'll be updating that section, as well as the section below to make it clear that the Web Adaptor is not a requirement for Portal for ArcGIS.

About the ArcGIS Web Adaptor—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

ArcGIS Web Adaptor is a required component of Portal for ArcGIS which allows you to integrate your portal with your existing web server and your organization's security mechanisms. You cannot deploy Portal for ArcGIS in your organization without the Web Adaptor.

It's only required if you want to use Integrated Windows Authentication as the security mechanism for Portal.

0 Kudos
Shiuh-LinLee
New Contributor II

Thanks, I will give it a try.

0 Kudos