Is it possible for duplicate global ids in different geodatabases

01-15-2015 09:48 AM
brianbond
New Contributor III

I am not using global id's in my geodatabase at this time.  I want to know if I add global id's to my geodatabase and I merge data from other external agencies provided to me in a file geodatabase, could there every be a duplicate global id in my geodatabase and an external agency's geodatabase. What if another agency merges data again from additional external agenices, could there be a duplicate global id?  I would hope the global id would always be unique because of the feature but I am not certain how the 36 character global id is created, some equation but what is used in the equation. 

It appears from reading ESRI reference documents that there are built in tools to keep from an id from being duplicated within a geodatabase that is replicated but in my work environment, none of the geodatabase that are being merged together are replicates from each other, they are independent geodatabases.

I use SQL Enterprise geodatabase 10.x

Brian

4 Replies
FalconESRIKW
New Contributor III

There is absolutley no chance that ArcGIS will duplicate the GLOBALIDs during the merge process no matter how many geodatabases are involved in the process.. GLOBALID is always unique.

As far as replication is concerned, it is indeed carried out with the help of GLOBALIDs however there is NO replication involved in your case. For more details about replication and GLOBALIDs, you may refer following links:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

I see this is an old post but I have an issue when trying to merge several feature classes and the process fails telling me that I the collection contains multiple Global ID fields. So  yes there is a chance that Global ids can be duplicated. I can't seem to delete any of the fields and turning them off does not work.

If you are still out there please help!

0 Kudos
brianbond
New Contributor III

Siran, I have not attempted to merge data each with Global IDs therefore I am uncertain what is occurring for you. From reviewing ESRI documentation, it may be an issue that the feature classes need to be in the same database so that the Global Id built-in function (Esri supplied functions and SQL) to manage the Global Id values can merge the data and manage all global id values without any conflict of what the next global id value needs to be for the merged feature class.  I recommend contacting ESRI Technician Support for a complete review of your work flow to merge the data which contains Global Id's.  Sorry for not seeing your message sooner.

0 Kudos
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Brian,

Thank you for your response. I have been working with an ESRI technician and so far they have not been able to resolve the issue. But what you say makes sense because I’ve done with before (merge) but with shapefiles and it worked fine. I’m trying to take files from several different geodatabases because I exported them from collector and wanted to maintain the attachment links. But I don’t think I Need to worry about that.

So what I might try as you suggested, is to create a new file geodatabase and export each file into that gdb. Then I’ll try the merge.

Thanks for your response! I’ll let you know if it works.

Siran

Siran D. Erysian, M.A., GISP,

Research Data Analyst II

Think Spatially

Department of Water Resources

3374 E. Shields Ave, Rm. A-1, Fresno, CA 93726 (559) 230-3312

Siran.Erysian@water.ca.gov

0 Kudos