Insufficient Permissions??

02-07-2018 06:32 AM
AndreGirard
New Contributor

I'm trying to add a field into an existing feature and when doing so i get the following error:

We are on ArcSDE with SQL being the server DBMS.

I'm on ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1

IT department has looked into things on the database & server side and haven't found anything out of the norm.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you connected as the data owner? What are your permissions according to ArcCatalog on the feature class.

There are some notes at the top of the help that may be present: Adding fields—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can add or remove fields as long as the following conditions are met:

• You have write access to the data.
  • You're not currently editing the data in ArcMap.
  • No other users or applications are accessing the data including other ArcMap or ArcCatalog sessions.
--- George T.
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

This almost seems like a database lock-up type of issue. It might be best to move this thread to ArcGIS Enterprise

(or maybe Enterprise GIS?? - things are tricky on the GeoNet sometimes...)

Is there a way to stop/start the database and try again?

Or maybe this article can help:

Manage geodatabase locks—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AndreGirard
New Contributor

Well i looked into the locks and there is nobody locking the database.

Will have IT restart the database server and see how that goes.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you check to see if there are any patches for your version that might address this issue?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is a patch that has some permissions fixes for SQL Server: Esri Support 10.5 (10.5.1) 

--- George T.
AndreGirard
New Contributor

ran the patch and that did not resolve the problem.

Server will be restarted overnight and will update tomorrow as to where things stand

Thanks

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

This is a SQL Server geodatabase?  In the error the object you are trying to alter is GIS_Essex_power.dbo.sw_cubicle.Test_report

^I can't tell if the owner is 'dbo' or 'sw_cubicle'.  SQL Server fully qualified naming conventions are database.schema.object

What is the full name of your database, schema and object.  Are there periods in any of these names?

Have you ever been able to alter this object?

AndreGirard
New Contributor

The full name is GIS_Essex_Power.DBO.SW_CUBICLE

I was trying to add another field called "TEST_REPORT"

We recently upgraded to 10.5.1

I haven't had to any fields in quite some time so not sure if this is tied to the upgrade or another problem or not.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

Can you make sure that your user is still associated with the dbo schema?  This can be confirmed in SQL Server Management Studio.

0 Kudos