Installing Portal and Server 10.8.1 on different machines without web adaptor

Jump to solution
01-27-2021 03:55 AM
mrkntrci
New Contributor II

I've looked for this everywhere, but unfortunately, I could not find any answer to my question.

We have installed the ArcGIS Enterprise Installer 10.8.0 almost a year ago, but since the 10.8.1 has come out we'd like to upgrade it.

But this time we'd like to follow a different approach with the installation. But I'd like to know if it's possible and how should I do it?

What I want to do is to install arcgis portal on a machine in my server and on a different machine I'd like to install Server and Data Store. But I want to do it without the Web Adaptor.

I also like to migrate all of my web apps and my map services( which is crucial since these services are being used in other platforms)

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there

Typically if you are upgrading a system and wish to retain Portal content and services, it is inadvisable to change the system architecture during the upgrade. I would upgrade first, then consider making architecture changes.

The deployment scenario you laid out is a typical example of a base deployment. However. could you specify what you mean by "without using the web adaptor"? If you remove the WA from the equation, that would most likely break federation. 

Lastly, Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise goes over how to migrate each component of the BED. An alternative would be to follow this workflow: Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise using the WebGIS DR tool

Please make sure to take images of the deployment before attempting any of these workflows!

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there

Typically if you are upgrading a system and wish to retain Portal content and services, it is inadvisable to change the system architecture during the upgrade. I would upgrade first, then consider making architecture changes.

The deployment scenario you laid out is a typical example of a base deployment. However. could you specify what you mean by "without using the web adaptor"? If you remove the WA from the equation, that would most likely break federation. 

Lastly, Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise goes over how to migrate each component of the BED. An alternative would be to follow this workflow: Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise using the WebGIS DR tool

Please make sure to take images of the deployment before attempting any of these workflows!

Keep on keeping on!
mrkntrci
New Contributor II

Hey Jon,

What I meant was I don't want web adaptor to do my proxy and routing settings. I want to do them myself with my own settings if that's possible. I also don't prefer a federated server, I rather have a stand-alone server for publishing map services via ArcGIS Pro

Thank you

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there,

It would be fairly difficult to replace the Web Adaptor with a proxy at this time (since you have content etc, this would most likely break federation). I would advise against this. Additionally, without a federated server, you would lose most of your portal content and functionality as well. Unless you plan on setting up a second server that would be left unfederated, this would be inadvisable as well.

Keep on keeping on!