Install Server and Portal Patches with PowerShell DSC

Jump to solution
01-21-2020 12:37 PM
KrystalPhaneuf2
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to figure out how to have patches installed when running the PowerShell DSC for an enterprise upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1.  In the github Wiki I see "PatchesDir" in the variables page but all it says is optional.  I'm wondering if this directory is where I need to download the patches to be installed or where the patches will be installed to.  Would this be the same as "InstallDir"?  What filepath are patches usually installed to?

Variables reference page for JSON configuration files · Esri/arcgis-powershell-dsc Wiki · GitHub 

Cameron Kroeker are you able to assist?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hi Krystal,

"PathesDir" is the path to where the patch (.msp) file(s) reside. The file path can be a local directory or a share, and can contain more than one .msp. PowerShell will detect all the .msp files in the path and proceed to install them.

Example:

"Portal": {
"LicenseFilePath": "[License File Path - Portal ]",
"PortalLicenseUserTypeId": "[Portal License User Type Id- Required for 10.7 and above]",
"Installer": {
"Path": "[Portal Installer Path]",
"WebStylesPath": "[Optional Parameter starting ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 - Portal Web Styles Installer Path]",
"InstallDir": "[Portal Install Dir - Ex. C:\\ArcGIS\\Portal]",
"ContentDir": "[Portal Content Dir for Install- Ex. C:\\portalforarcgis\\content]",
"PatchesDir": "C:\\portal_patches"
},

Once installed you can find the patch(es) listed within Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Installed Updates.

list of installed patches within control panel

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hi Krystal,

"PathesDir" is the path to where the patch (.msp) file(s) reside. The file path can be a local directory or a share, and can contain more than one .msp. PowerShell will detect all the .msp files in the path and proceed to install them.

Example:

"LicenseFilePath": "[License File Path - Portal ]",
"PortalLicenseUserTypeId": "[Portal License User Type Id- Required for 10.7 and above]",
"Path": "[Portal Installer Path]",
"WebStylesPath": "[Optional Parameter starting ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 - Portal Web Styles Installer Path]",
"InstallDir": "[Portal Install Dir - Ex. C:\\ArcGIS\\Portal]",
"ContentDir": "[Portal Content Dir for Install- Ex. C:\\portalforarcgis\\content]",
"PatchesDir": "C:\\portal_patches"
},

Once installed you can find the patch(es) listed within Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Installed Updates.

list of installed patches within control panel

KrystalPhaneuf2
Occasional Contributor

Great thanks! I'll try this out tomorrow!

KrystalPhaneuf2
Occasional Contributor

Just to confirm, there isn't anything else the config file needs to install the patches.  Just the "PatchesDir" variable under Portal and Server.

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Yes, that's correct. As long as the "PatchesDir" attribute is present under Portal, Server, DataStore, etc and contains a local or file share path to a location where .msp files reside then the ArcGIS PowerShell module will install all the patches that are in the specified directory.

0 Kudos
KrystalPhaneuf2
Occasional Contributor

Hey Cameron,  I couldn't tell in your response but is the PatchesDir under Installer? This is how I've setup my config file.  This is based on the variables page in the github wiki.

"LicenseFilePath": "D:\\InstallationFiles\\1071\\ArcGIS_Enterprise_Portal_107_289384_20191127.json",
      "Path": "D:\\InstallationFiles\\1071\\Portal_for_ArcGIS_Windows_1071_169688.exe",
      "InstallDir": "C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Portal",
      "ContentDir": "D:\\",
      "PatchesDir": "D:\\InstallationFiles\\1071\\PortalPatches"
     },
   "ContentDirectoryLocation": "D:\\arcgisportal\\content"

},

Github lists it like this:

Portal

• Installer
    • Path - The path to the portal Installer file you downloaded from My Esri.
    • InstallDir - The path where the Portal component will be installed.
    • ContentDir - The Path where the initial site will be configured. This needs to be a Local Path.
    • WebStylesPath - The path to the Portal Web Styles Installer file you downloaded from My Esri. Required parameter starting 10.7.1.
    • PatchesDir - (Optional)
0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

My apologies, yes, you are correct. PatchesDir goes under Installer.

Here is a sample:

arcgis-powershell-dsc/BaseDeployment   -SingleMachine.json at e06c6e3ba5f31707cce916a693c825bd616ec3... 

0 Kudos
KrystalPhaneuf2
Occasional Contributor

Ok, that's how I set it up and they did not install.  Not even any errors or anything. Just didn't even attempt to install.  I'll open an issue on Github.

0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III

Cameron Kroeker

Does the "PatchesDir" attribute have to be under "DataStore" if you only have any patches to install for Server & Portal?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hello Dan,

If there aren't any patches for ArcGIS DataStore then "PatchesDir" can be left out of "DataStore", even if there are patches to install for Server & Portal.

Thanks,

Cameron K.