Select to view content in your preferred language

Install ArcGIS Image Server

03-27-2018 04:13 PM
MikeJun
Emerging Contributor

I just noticed that I need to install ArcGIS Image Server on separate machine from ArcGIS Server instance for 10.6 version. We store raw Ortho photo imagery(1.75TB), Lidar data(554GB), Cached basemap(21GB) images on the other machine(enterprise Geodatabase machine(SDE)) and plan to create a VM to install image server. I'd like to know the minimum server specs for image server.

Do you think that dual core CPU/8GB RAM/200GB Hard drive is good enough? Thanks,

13 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

The reason that it may be unadvised to have Image and GIS services would be related to resource contention on the single machine. Right now it seems you have Portal and Server on the same machine, correct?

Where is the DataStore located?

If the Image services (mosaic datasets) are just for visualization you may be ok, but that depends on lots of other factors. So separating the Image workload is based on a lot of "it depends.....". There is not a universal answer.

Having all the Server roles and components on a single machine in a production type environment may be a recipe for issues. Especially if the site is heavily used.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
GIS_AdminCity_of_Charlottetown
Emerging Contributor

Portal and Server are on one machine and the data store is on another. We are using an Xenon Silver 4208 2.1Ghz 16 core with 64Gb of ram. The usage is internal only, we have an AGOL account for public facing data. I plan on serving WFS's to a online service we have through Pictometry/Eagle View. I can do raster analytics from my PC so I don't need to be able to support multi-user raster analysis off the server yet, not likely any time soon anyway. Our org is about 500 strong with about 150 viewers of GIS, 3 Editors/Data Maintenance Personnel and 1 Administrator type. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I may be possible to start with the addition of Image Server role, but know that you may need to split out the workload to an additional machine in the future.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AngelaVanderpas1
Emerging Contributor

When I was researching machine requirements.  It looked like if you were going to create a vm that it would be best to have a physical graphics card for it to use.  And if that is the case the minimum card would be 4 Us  while many servers are 2 Us.  Has anyone else had experience with this?

0 Kudos