In place upgrade from Windows Server 2016 to 2022 in multi machine server site

05-24-2023 07:25 AM
LouEarly
New Contributor II

Is is possible to upgrade the OS one machine at a time in a multi machine arcgis server site?  For instance, there are 3 machines each running 2016. Can we temporarily remove a machine from the site, upgrade it to 2022 then add it back to the site while the other two machines are still running 2016? We would then follow this process for the other two machines, taking down one at a time to upgrade the OS. 

ESRI recommends all machines that participate in a server site have the same OS. We are concerned that doing this will create problems.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Given that your upgrade process is supported by Microsoft and you are asking about Esri's recommendation, this appears to apply for a long term configuration. There is not really much risk in having different OS's for a few hours or a couple days. As long as the ArcGIS Server version is not also being upgraded and the version of ArcGIS you have installed supports Server 2022, you should be good.

If your site can support your current load as a 2-machine site, you can remove one machine, upgrade it, re-add it and repeat the process for the remaining servers until they have all been upgraded.

The removing and (especially) adding process can sometimes be process intensive to all servers in the site, leading to the site being slow to respond or even temporarily unresponsive. You should time these operations accordingly to minimize disruption to the clients.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could even change the windows service for ArcGIS Server to Disabled one server at a time and the site would not care.

The leave and join options are sometimes "quirky"

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm with Bill on this one.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
Basiljohny
New Contributor

what if we have to do 300 windows 2016 servers to windows 2022?

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

@Basiljohny  Are all 300 running Esri products?  

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

We are thinking of an in-place upgrade from 2016 to 2019.  Our sys admins report that an in-place upgrade from 2016 to 2022 is not recommended.  Our thinking that regardless, we would probably follow what @BillFox is saying - simply just stop the windows arcgis server / portal / datastore/ exe processes and run the updates.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Right, that's my other post on this.  I knew I put something up earlier....