Improve performance of Feature Service

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 12:15 PM
Sophia_M
New Contributor

I'm using a feature service in a map, and it takes too much time to display, even though it's using the PBF format and quantization. Is there any other way to reduce the time it takes to display the features of the service in the map?

This is an example of the feature being used in a map https://learngis2.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=383c54d60aed469591c5aa3a25613806

Engineer girl looking for new experiences into developing ArcGIS Apps.
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sophia_M
New Contributor

I haven't, is the scale threshold related to the visibility range? or how can I define the threshold?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

I'm looking at your map service for the layer: https://sigmun.implanchihuahua.org/webserver/rest/services/Metrica_Chihuahua/PU023_Dosificacion_Zoni...

I can see that it's in a mexico map projection. There's going to be some delay, as it reprojects on the fly. I would consider reprojecting the data to Web Mercator (Same as the ArcGIS Online basemaps) so that it doesn't have to "think" when drawing. 

Another workaround I have done that's very similar to the type of data that you have, is to actually publish a real Hosted Vector Tile Layer of the data in ArcGIS Online. Then, publish the same data as you have now, but with Null symbology. This way, what the end user sees is the vector tile layer, but when they click for the popup information, they are clicking on the feature layer with zero/null symbology. It's a trickery but it works. You can even "hide" the vector tile from the legend if you need to.

Also, you are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1, but publishing as a tiled service. Try republishing as a hosted feature layer (or vector tile layer) into your Portal. This would allow the Portal to dynamically allocate resource pooling. 

I can't tell whether your data is coming from a FGDB or from a multi user enterprise GDB like SQL Server, but if it is coming from Enterprise GDB, then go ahead and rebuild those indexs...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III
The feature service appears to draw very quickly at large scales. The problem appears to be the slow draw speed at the initial extent. Have you considered using a scale threshold to suppress the feature service at smaller scales?

Bernie.
Sophia_M
New Contributor

I haven't, is the scale threshold related to the visibility range? or how can I define the threshold?

0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

I'm looking at your map service for the layer: https://sigmun.implanchihuahua.org/webserver/rest/services/Metrica_Chihuahua/PU023_Dosificacion_Zoni...

I can see that it's in a mexico map projection. There's going to be some delay, as it reprojects on the fly. I would consider reprojecting the data to Web Mercator (Same as the ArcGIS Online basemaps) so that it doesn't have to "think" when drawing. 

Another workaround I have done that's very similar to the type of data that you have, is to actually publish a real Hosted Vector Tile Layer of the data in ArcGIS Online. Then, publish the same data as you have now, but with Null symbology. This way, what the end user sees is the vector tile layer, but when they click for the popup information, they are clicking on the feature layer with zero/null symbology. It's a trickery but it works. You can even "hide" the vector tile from the legend if you need to.

Also, you are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1, but publishing as a tiled service. Try republishing as a hosted feature layer (or vector tile layer) into your Portal. This would allow the Portal to dynamically allocate resource pooling. 

I can't tell whether your data is coming from a FGDB or from a multi user enterprise GDB like SQL Server, but if it is coming from Enterprise GDB, then go ahead and rebuild those indexs...

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a neat idea! You should think about giving that a try, it might be a really good solution. Just note that if you ever need to make changes to the Zoning data you would need to also re-create the Vector Tile Package.

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @NathanEnge,

I think this trickery could work for me, too, but I'm not sure what you mean by zero/null symbology. Can you explain a little further? Thanks in advance!

- Holly
0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
Null / zero symbology is just symbology set to 100% transparency, size 0. So you don’t “see” it on the screen, but it’s still there. Enterprise doesn’t need to use resources to “draw” it. What you’re looking at is the Vector Tile instead. The trickery is when you tap on a feature you’re actually tapping on the invisible feature - which still gives you pop ups.
0 Kudos
Randomapper
New Contributor III

Awesome tip, thanks!  If you published as a Reference, will changes be reflected in the Vector Tile Cache after running Rebuild Cache?

0 Kudos