Image Service not displaying, Do I need to make them all WGS 1984?

06-30-2015 10:49 AM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I finally have Server 10.3.1 running on my new hardware with Desktop 10.3.1, and trying out a few things. I have been running Server 9.3.1, so I have a lot to figure out.  The SampleWorldCities map service is listed in Catalog, and draws as expected in ArcMap.   Found a big sid image that was handy and thought I would try making a cached image service.  I followed the tutorial instructions Tutorial: Creating a cached image service—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server   , ​chose ArcGIS Online / Bing Maps / Google Maps.for the tiling scheme even though the image is UTM Zone 10N.  Thought I could do that because it wasn't a mosaic, as described in the "Designing an image service".  Adjusted caching so Estimated cache size was less than 50 MB.  Set Tile format to jpeg.  Analyzed,  got no errors but warnings "Source not registered, will be copied to server" and "Your service will use WGS 1984" , then published.  The new image service appears in listed Catalog, the thumbnail draws, but it will not preview in Catalog or draw in ArcMap.  Properties say it is WGS 84.

I grabbed another UTM Z10N sid and tried again, this time trying a suggested tiling scheme,  5 levels, looked at the warning about WGS 84 in more detail, the help said one solution was to do nothing, data will still overlay properly.  Published, but same as my first attempt,  I have a thumbnail, but no Preview or draw in ArcMap.

What am I missing? Am I going to have to reproject all my image data to WGS 84 to make them work for Image services in 10.3.1?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

Try exporting the cache to a Tile Package using the Export Tile Cache tool.  For the 'Export Cache As' option choose Tile Package.  Are you able to view the TPK in ArcMap?

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

I haven't run this tool before, but when I try it, I get a Error 000242 The input dataset, file, or layer is invalid.  However, the tool dialog displays the Scale levels. The input causes an error as soon as I select Tile_Package.

The  unexported caches don't display in Catalog either.

CaptureTileCache.JPG

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if the issue is caused by the SID beginning with a number.  Can you rename the SID so that it:

1.  Does not begin with a number

2.  Does not contain any spaces

3.  Does not contain any special characters

Then try recreating the cache and see if you are able to view it.

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

Seemed like a good idea, but didn't work for me to try a copy an image named Klick.sid and make another cached image service.  Just get a thumbnail, no preview, no draw.  Maybe I should try some image formats other than sid. 

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

Tried a non-cached imaged service of this same utm z10n sid.  Worked.  Properties of the image service say it is still UTM Z10N.

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

ESRI Customer Care told me that this was a bug in 10.3.1 but I didn't get the bug number.  This was the tutorial I was using when I tried cached image services. http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/get-started/windows/tutorial-creating-a-cached-image-servi... Strange that it is still part of the documentation for 10.3.1 if there is a bug that prevents it from working.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-bDA_AuPl3rxQ
New Contributor

#BUG-000089513   The Export Tile Cache (Data Management) tool fails to export all scales when tiles are generated in ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop.

deleted-user-bDA_AuPl3rxQ
New Contributor

Paul,

I have tested this bug extensively in 10.3, 10.3.1 and 10.4.  I have come up with a workaround, which adds one additional step, that I verified with 10.4; as I have time I will test with 10.3.1 and 10.3.   I attached screenshots of the tool I used with the City of Philadelphia Land Use Data.

1.  Run Export Tile Cache Tool

Input Tile Cache:  Select your input from the arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache directory

Select your output Tile Cache location

Select your output tile cache name:  I add _delete after the name--letting me know to delete later.

Export cache as "TILE_CACHE"  not "TILE_PACKAGE"

Run tool.

2. Run Export Tile Cache Tool  Again

Input Tile Cache:  Select your output from step 1 (my case "LandUse_delete").

Select your output Tile Cache location

Select your output tile cache name:  Final Name you desire (my case "LandUse")

Export cache as "TILE_PACKAGE"

Run tool.

For some reason, the format is invalid if you try and set your input to the arcgisserver directory.  However, if you export the tile cache...as another tile cache first, then export your tile package, it should work.  Let me know if you see the same behavior.

Regards,

Alex