Select to view content in your preferred language

How to stop WMS layer blocking ArcMap?

06-05-2015 01:28 AM
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

we have a couple of customers that use WMS layers in ArcMap. Frequently, the WMS servers are rather slow (response times > 10 seconds), and ArcMap "hangs" while waiting forn the WMS request to complete. Hitting Escape doesn't help.

Is there any way to avoid this effect (other than deactivating the layer or using Pro)? Ideally, we would like to define a time out after which ArcMaps stops waiting for the WMS reply?

If necessary, we're considering ArcObjects development (custom layers? multithreading). A CancelTracker might seem an obvious choice, but as far as I can see from the documentation, that would basically have the same effect as hitting Escape from the keyboard...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Martin

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelRobb
Regular Contributor II

have the layer set to visible = false?

Does Fiddler point to any clue as to why the slowness?

Which WMS version?

0 Kudos
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply. Deactivating the layer, either manually by unchecking it in the TOC or programmatically, is certainly the way to go once the user realizes that the service is unresponsive. My question is whether we can do something about the behaviour of ArcMap (no reaction, whiteout, ...) when the service starts acting up. Since we observe strong fluctuation of response times (2-3 s optimum, maximum >> 60 s), a timeout would be the ideal solution. Switching the service layer off for longer periods of time is not really an option since the information is needed regularly.

The reasons for the service being slow are fairly clear - at certain times of the day, the load on the infrastructure (network, servers) etc. simply gets to high and response times go down. Technically, it's fairly obvious how to fix this. The problems lie on the administrative and financial side.

I can find out the WMS version if that would help, but since the service itself is out of our control, I haven't checked yet (also, it's not an ArcGIS Server-based service).

Martin

0 Kudos