How to Register DataBase (DataStore) with Federated ArcGIS Server?

Jump to solution
09-17-2019 10:45 AM
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Background

I'm in the process of moving to new SQL Servers and migrating a bunch of SDE databases. So I'm having to update lots of SDE references for map services, FME workbenches, projects. I'm noticing some confusing behavior when trying to register datastores (SQL Server databases) with a Federated ArcGIS Server (10.6). Wondering if it has to do with the way Portal/Enterprise handles Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA).

Steps taken

• Tried running ArcGIS Server Manager on my local machine - https://webadaptor.domain.com:6443/arcgis/manager - and registering a new Managed Database by importing an existing .sde file that works everywhere else. As soon as I click 'Import', I'm bounced back to the login screen where no set of credentials will log me back in. Refreshing the page in the browser shows me as logged in.

If I try https://gisserver.domain.com:6443/arcgis/manager, I get the following notification:

• When I tried the same on the actual ArcGIS Server machine, strangely, I was able to register one (1) new datastore in this manner. As soon as I tried to register another, I got bounced back to the login screen as above.
  • When I try it in ArcCatalog - make an admin server connection to the federated server, then go to ArcGIS Server Properties - I can register new datastore without any issues by importing my .sde files. So for now, this is the only way to make this work. I imagine it can be done through Pro as well.
  • I've also tried it using arcpy, but when I try the code below:

import arcpy
    serverConn = <path_to_my_current_DOT_AGS_file>
    sdeConn = <path_to_my_DOT_sde_file>

#AddDataStoreItem (connection_file, datastore_type, connection_name, server_path, {client_path}, {hostname})
    arcpy.AddDataStoreItem(serverConn, "DATABASE", "what_i_want_my_connection_to_be-called", sdeConn)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

all I get is this error:

RuntimeError: Cannot open AGS server connection.

QUESTION: 

Is any of this expected behavior? Is IWA not working right? Why do I have to have privileges or am able to do it through the application but not in the browser?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jill_es
Esri Contributor

It sounds as though you are encountering a known defect: "BUG-000116672: Trying to register a database with a federated ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, configured with Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA), redirects to the login screen in ArcGIS Server Manager."  You can subscribe to this defect here; doing so can help us understand the demand behind this bug.  As a workaround, you can use ArcGIS Desktop to register the database or manually registered the database at REST.

If you want to look further into this issue, I would recommend creating a case with Technical Support.  If you need assistance getting in touch with Technical Support, please feel free to message me directly.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jill_es
Esri Contributor

It sounds as though you are encountering a known defect: "BUG-000116672: Trying to register a database with a federated ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, configured with Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA), redirects to the login screen in ArcGIS Server Manager."  You can subscribe to this defect here; doing so can help us understand the demand behind this bug.  As a workaround, you can use ArcGIS Desktop to register the database or manually registered the database at REST.

If you want to look further into this issue, I would recommend creating a case with Technical Support.  If you need assistance getting in touch with Technical Support, please feel free to message me directly.

Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for pointing that out, Jill. Does the bug include the issue with doing it through the Python API? Or any thoughts on why the code won't work with valid SDE and AGS files?

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, the bug doesn't include any details regarding the Python API, though the behavior you're seeing may be related to the known bug.

0 Kudos