How to publish a service from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS server?

Jump to solution
11-26-2014 01:10 PM
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to publish a service to ArcGIS Server directly from ArcGIS Pro. I found out how to make the connection to the server and how to share my map as a webmap. So now I want to know if there is a way to publish the same map via ArcGIS Server.

Thanks a lot for your help!

68 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I got confused. Are we able to publish to ArcGIS Server from Pro?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
TomShindler
Occasional Contributor

Jamal,

Yes, you can publish with ArcGIS Pro, but ONLY through Portal, and ONLY the single portal that is federated with that ArcGIS Server, and ONLY with a level 2 named user on that Portal.

The above constraints and limitations are what are troubling to the contributors to this thread. There are dozens of structures and workflows that are either impossible, or prohibitively difficult within those constraints. That is why most of us are complaining, and asking esri to remove those constraints and allow Pro to publish directly to ArcGIS Server.

Tom

FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

It's all good if they include Portal and Server. ArcGIS Enterprise is ambitious, congratulations for that but of course further engineering should be invested in giving integration and easy deployment for users.

MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Jamal NUMAN wrote:

I got confused. Are we able to publish to ArcGIS Server from Pro?

Not directly, no.  Indirectly you are through Federated Portal. (Named user model).

abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

If you want to publish your services from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Server, you need to federate your ArcGIS portal with ArcGIS server, in this case any published services to the ArcGIS portal will be hosted on the ArcGIS Server.

You can make the federation as the screenshot below or by using the link below.

https://yourserver:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/federation/servers

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe the question is why can’t we publish to server from Pro? “Buy another expensive application and hire a full time sys admin to run it” isn’t really helpful There are far more business requirements that call for nothing more than a REST endpoint than there are for content management and discovery. Adding Portal as another  barrier to meeting that requirement unessesary. 

ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Exactly Thomas. I think Abdullah missed the point of this thread.

abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Dear Erik

I am just clarified how you can make federation in case you want to publish your services into portal with ArcGIS server hosting environment. and this available in Portal for ArcGIS

Best
Abdullah

HeatherHerrmann2
Occasional Contributor

I'm only a few days into using ArcGIS Pro and have LOVED every second of it.  Until I learned that you can't publish a map service from Pro.  Seems a bit silly to have to put my content back into Desktop so I can do that.  Pretty big let down after being so incredibly impressed with it thus far.  :-S

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You can vote up the idea for this if you have not already done so.