How to publish a service from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS server?

Jump to solution
11-26-2014 01:10 PM
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to publish a service to ArcGIS Server directly from ArcGIS Pro. I found out how to make the connection to the server and how to share my map as a webmap. So now I want to know if there is a way to publish the same map via ArcGIS Server.

Thanks a lot for your help!

68 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

" ... Web layers shared from ArcGIS Pro are portal items that expose a service or service layer to be easily shared and consumed. Depending on the type of service being exposed, a different layer type is created. For example, a web feature layer exposes a feature service.

Web layers can store configured settings such as symbology, pop-up information, and permissions for who can access the layer. Because these settings are stored with the layer instead of the service, you can have multiple layer items referencing the same service with different configurations ..."

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/understanding-services-layers-and-maps.htm

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you Domenico for the input

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
WebGISGdibx
New Contributor III

You're not able to share a map image layer if you don't own a portal. It is not possible using ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online. 

JacquesBrodard
New Contributor III

Hello, I'm exactly in the some case as Royce.. Is it planned to simply publish from arcgis pro to arcgis for server in the same way that arcgis desktop ?

in addition, if I understand correctly the previous posts, if I publish a tiled vector layer from arcgis pro to Portal, it is the arcgis online credits that are used and not the arcgis server capabilities ?

Jac
pheede-esri
Esri Contributor

Publishing a vector tile package to Portal for ArcGIS does not consume credits in any way. In that setup, the vector tile package becomes a vector tile layer served out entirely from your own infrastructure using the full ArcGIS for Server Web GIS stack: Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server (in the role of a hosting server), and ArcGIS Data Store.

If you publish a vector tile package to ArcGIS Online, it is served out from there. A small amount of storage credits are charged, but no consumption credits apply.

JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to host the service on your own ArcGIS Server / Data Store, but then publish it via ArcGIS Online rather than Portal for ArcGIS? Thus approximating the old method of hosting the data on your own infrastructure but publishing it on AGOL. Seems like the only solutions offered above are all or nothing: (host AND publish via Portal) OR (host AND publish via AGOL). What if you don't want to run Portal at all, or you just don't to force users (the public) to check your Portal AND ArcGIS Online to try to find content? Why force organizations to host content on AGOL just so it can be published there, while we've got AGS sitting right here? Alternate question: is it possible to integrate Portal-hosted content in AGOL so that AGOL is a single endpoint for users?

JasonLevine

Yes, you can publish a service on your own ArcGIS Server (using ArcMap, not Pro), and then reference it as an "Item" in AGOL by going to "My Content" -> "Add Item" -> "From the Web".  From there, you would add the service's rest endpoint and click "Add Item".

-Jason

JeffThomasILM

I know I can publish to AGS from ArcMap, but I'm trying to envision Esri's future in which ArcMap is replaced by Pro. I want to know whether Esri intends relegate that scenario (host services on your own infrastructure, but publish on AGOL) to ArcMap as it begins its descent into obsolescence, or if the functionality is forthcoming to Pro.

RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

I echo Jeff's comments and question.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As per my understanding, ArcGIS Pro leverages the Esri Cloud in the form of ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. You can federate the ArcGIS server site with Portal or AGOL and keep the Server as the hosting server. It's a necessary push to make users work with the advanced platform. Although I am not sure if there is a plan for adding the functionality to publish services to standalone ArcGIS Server from Pro.

Think Location