How to Publish a “Raster catalog”, and is an image Server extension will be required in this case?

Jump to solution
11-11-2015 02:29 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a Raster catalog that contains a number of images, and I want to publish it using ArcGIS server 10.3.1, when I right click on the Raster catalog I cannot find Share as image service! In the mosaic dataset when I click on the dataset I can see publish as Image service. So the question is How can I published a Raster catalog dataset if it’s possible, and do I need to have an image server extension to publish it?! I cannot find any documentation about the topic.

Clip_44.jpg

Clip_45.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

For clarification:

It is not possible to share a raster catalog as an image service. A raster catalog is only a list of raster datasets and does not have have functionality of incorporating overviews etc required to serve as the base for an image service. Use a mosaic dataset instead. If required the records from a raster catalog can be added to  a mosaic dataset. Serving a mosaic dataset does require the Image Extension irrespective if you serve it directly as an image service or incorporate it into an MXD. The best practice is to serve mosaic dataset directlyu as an image service and not incorporate into an MXD so as to get the full functionality including control of the various renderers. The mashing up of the layers should be defined in a webmap and not the mxd.

Authoring a mosaic dataset requires ArcGIS Desktop standard. Mosaic datasets can be used directly at any level. Raster datasets (which are single rasters) can be exported from a mosaic dataset. It is also possible to generate tile cache from a mosaic dataset. No extension is required to serve a raster dataset as an image service.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

since you are in arcmap here is the topic on publishing raster data​ the first few paragraphs list the requirements

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

An image service provides access to raster (and image) data through a web service. You can publish an image service using ArcCatalog or using the ArcGIS for Server manager.

To publish a raster dataset or raster layer as an image service, you do not need an extension. To publish a mosaic dataset, a document containing a mosaic dataset, or a raster layer containing a mosaic function, you require the Image Extension.

You cannot serve a raster catalog directly. If you want to serve a raster catalog, you can create a referenced mosaic dataset that uses the raster catalog as its data source.

Based on the link Dan provided, the third paragraph says you cannot server a raster catalog direct, but a mosaic dataset requires the Image Server extension.  But the second paragraph says you can publish a raster dataset with out the extension. So the help link below may help with converting to a raster dataset. (Untested by me)

Raster Catalog To Raster Dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AhmadSALEH1

Hi Dan and Rebecca,

I was reading the document that Dan provided, But I feel confused with these two lines:

• To publish a raster dataset or raster layer as an image service, you do not need an extension.

• To publish a mosaic dataset, a document containing a mosaic dataset, or a raster layer containing a mosaic function, you require the Image Extension.

Does this means that when I Right Click on a raster or image in the catalog then Publish as image there is no need have an image extension.

and if I added the raster or the image to the mxd then published the mxd as image service this means that I need Image extension.

Am I right ?

Regards,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Ahmad,

I agree that those two lines are very confusing and almost seem contradictory. I have not used raster catalogs or datasets, so I can't help much with the first option, but if  it was me, and that was my only option, I would just give it a try and see what happens (Use a small subset of the data for prof of concept)

However, I like mosaic datasets much over raster catalogs/datasets for a number of reasons and that is the route I am going with our new imagery and DEMs.   What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   I am no expert on mosaic datasets as I am still learning, but what I do know is you can use the mosaic dataset in an Mxd and create a map server from it, and even cache the map service Without the Image Server extension.

What  you can't do is create an Image Service and/or take advantage of the functions like Hillshade or Shaded-relief or other function chains on-the-fly in a service without the extension. The on-the-fly aspect of these functions are one of the really nice features of the mosaic dataset, that is, you don't have to create a physical copy of the hillshade, for example, it can be done on demand.  This can be done locally with a mosaic dataset and from a reference mosaic Create Referenced Mosaic Dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop     but to use the same on demand mode in a Service, you need the Image Server extension.   (Tip. If you create a mosaic dataset and reference the imagery on a common drive...I used UNC paths...you can copy the mosaic dataset to a different user's machine, and if they can see the access the same pays, it works)

One major benefit I found with the Image Server extension with a mosaic dataset is the speed in creating caches. What used to take about 6-8 weeks took about 7-10 days...even adding three more zoom scales.  of course, results may vary.  pretty pricy extension, but well worth it if only for that reason for me.

PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

For clarification:

It is not possible to share a raster catalog as an image service. A raster catalog is only a list of raster datasets and does not have have functionality of incorporating overviews etc required to serve as the base for an image service. Use a mosaic dataset instead. If required the records from a raster catalog can be added to  a mosaic dataset. Serving a mosaic dataset does require the Image Extension irrespective if you serve it directly as an image service or incorporate it into an MXD. The best practice is to serve mosaic dataset directlyu as an image service and not incorporate into an MXD so as to get the full functionality including control of the various renderers. The mashing up of the layers should be defined in a webmap and not the mxd.

Authoring a mosaic dataset requires ArcGIS Desktop standard. Mosaic datasets can be used directly at any level. Raster datasets (which are single rasters) can be exported from a mosaic dataset. It is also possible to generate tile cache from a mosaic dataset. No extension is required to serve a raster dataset as an image service.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Peter Becker wrote:

....The best practice is to serve mosaic dataset directlyu as an image service and not incorporate into an MXD so as to get the full functionality including control of the various renderers.   ....

Peter, that is good to know, since I was planning on starting to create my Image services today.

One clarification, "Authoring a mosaic dataset requires ArcGIS Desktop standard."   I would add "or Advanced".  Some of us only have basic and advanced (no standard/ArcEditor).  Minor point, but just in case others read this and have a question.

Ahmad, I think Peter's response answers many of your questions.  If so, make sure to mark those comments that were help, and mark one as answered so this thread can be closed.  What question do you still have?

AhmadSALEH1

Many thanks guys its really helpful.

0 Kudos