How to publish a map which could be accessed by someone without ArcGIS Desktop 10.3

08-04-2015 01:14 PM
JJ6
by
New Contributor III

Dear Esri Community,

Feels like a dumb question but I have been trying to teach myself GIS and would like to share a map I created privately to someone without ArcGIS. How can I do this? I have watched Publishing a map service with ArcGIS 10.1 - YouTube  in my attempt to share my map but repeatedly ended in disappointment. I have my own organization but also cannot seem to find my desktop organization url.

Best, 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

You could create a map and publish it to ArcGIS Online(AGOL).  This would effectively be a web version of the map you create in ArcMap and could be accessible by anyone who has internet access.

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
JJ6
by
New Contributor III

Okay I tried to fix it and got a little further.

I have been able to locate my server URL which I found on my profile but when I copy my Organization url to the server it says "Invalid URL"

What?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Proving screenshots of where things are failing will help the community understand where you're at.  What organization URL are you referring to?  Are you trying to publish to ArcGIS Server?  If so, have you followed this documentation?  Step 3 of that page will provide information on making an administrative or publisher connection to your Server, giving you access to publish.  If you're publishing to ArcGIS Online, you'll need to sign in through the File menu.  The steps to publish to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap can be found in this link.

0 Kudos
DebbieStaszak
New Contributor

you can export the map to pdf or another format seen in the drop down list under file> export

0 Kudos
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

If you're looking to go a different route from ArcGIS Online you can use Google Earth.  If you created the map with ArcGIS Desktop, you can export the map to a kml using the "Map to KML" tool and send the file to them to have them open it up in Google Earth.  I've used that in the past to share maps with those who do not have ArcGIS. 

0 Kudos
JJ6
by
New Contributor III

Take1.pngTake2.pngTake3.png

The above images are me trying to share my map on ArcGIS 10.3

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

From your screenshot, it looks like you're trying to connect to ArcGIS Online to publish.  Take a look a the documentation below which will guide you through signing in through the File menu, navigating through the service editor, and publishing to ArcGIS Online:

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

In the "In this topic" section, you'll see a Publish from ArcMap link.

0 Kudos
TrieuPham_Ly
New Contributor III

Because you are using a localhost for your Server, try this: http://localhost:6080/arcgis

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Actually J J is publishing service to AGOL account. He cannot (doesn't need to) connect to AGOL via Connect to ArcGIS Server.

He can just sign-in to AGOL from ArcMap (File > Sign-In). And start publishing (File> Share as > Service).

Think Location
0 Kudos