How to publish a map service via script with "Shared Instances" in 10.7

04-19-2019 10:40 AM
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

I'm working on a python script to upload a sddraft xml file from ArcGIS Pro to a standalone 10.7 arcgis server that would enable the "Shared Instances" option on the service. So far, everything works, but when I enable the settings to allow shared instances, the map service throws some errors while publishing.

The script modifies the xml document to set the keys to the following:

provider - DMaps

MinInstances - 0

MaxInstances - 0

Which is what I have found the instance JSON properties on the server get set to. Is there something else to modify in the sddraft xml file to get this working?

```

arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details.

ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.

Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Failed.

Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).

Failed to execute (PublishProMapToServer).

```

I see some other messages in the error logs:

```

12:17:08 - Failed to rename cache folder.

12:17:08 - Error executing tool. PublishServiceDefinition Job ID: j16be642f02d74b42b63c03c41765b958 : ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

12:17:08 - Failed to create the service.: Invalid at the top level of the document.

12:17:08 - Service rename is complete.

```

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SebastianCabrera
Esri Contributor

I think that at 10.7 is still not possible to publish a service to a shared instance. Once is published, you can change the instance type. There is a new operation in the admin rest api: ChangeProvider, using this operation (to DMaps), and editing the service json to modify mininstances (0), maxinstances (0) and Provider (Dmaps), the service´s instance type is changed.

I couldnt find documentation of this new operation, and how to programatically change this via a script, yet.

Hope this helps.

kerenc
by
New Contributor II

I manage to add it by editing the sddraft and change the provider to DMaps

Here is an article that might help:
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/move-services-to-shared-i...

0 Kudos