How to monitor the traffic and know who access to ArcGIS Server

02-25-2013 07:34 PM
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Hi, team

Is there any effective IT way or ESRI-ready tool (script) for us to know the traffic at ArcGIS Server 10.1 (saying, at the port 6080 or 6443) and see who access to this server?

Basically, we want to answer the following questions via statistics?

??? How many users access (weekly, monthly, yearly)
??? Who visited

Many thanks in advance,

larry at Aramco
Tags (2)
15 Replies
DanielSmith
Occasional Contributor III
So has the nice little Server Statistics GUI gone away now? I believe it was one of the tabs in the server properties dialog box.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, that GUI is gone.
There is some information on this subject here: http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/73863/any-tool-to-monitor-arcgis-server-usage
0 Kudos
AzinSharaf
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Here are two options...

Mine the ArcGIS Server Logs
Starting at 10.1, the ArcGIS Server Administrator API allows you to mine information about individual services in order to get usage information, which is covered here. To go a step further, you can automatically construct a feature class with the most highly-requested extents based on the example provided here. If you're clever with Python, you'll be able to collect some additional information using similar techniques. If you ever find yourself using ArcGIS 10.0 or earlier, you can still parse the ArcGIS Server log files (.DAT files) but you'll have to get a bit more complex with the scripting (which can be done using Windows batch, PowerShell, or Python scripting).

Parse the IIS W3SVC Web Logs
The W3SVC log files (typically located at C:/WINDOWS/system32/LogFiles/W3SVC1 or C:/inetpub/WWWROOT/Logs on a Windows machine) show the GET and POST requests made to the website from client machines. The information typically includes the URL being requested along with a file download size, a time/date stamp, the client IP address, and a return code (200, 404, 403, 500, etc.). You can use Windows batch scripting, PowerShell, or Python scripting to periodically parse the most current log file for the information you care about. One the data is parsed, you can write it to a file or insert the data into a database for reporting and record keeping purposes. Maybe a solution like this is a bit too custom for your liking, but you may already have the tools you need to do this without buying a COTS solution.
0 Kudos
BugPie
by
I have been doing some research on this issue as of late. I was able to pull an application out of our archives that we used to monitor traffic on our customized Arc IMS site. After some fooling around installing the newest version and configuring I was able to get some fairly good info. We are using IIS 7.5.

One of the benefits of this tools is that because we use authentication we are now able to see who is logging into our arcserver site and what services they are using. I can tell if they are printing the map or just viewing on screen. I can see how much band width is being used per service request. All very good metrics to have on your site. All you need to do is configure your IIS server and site to log as needed. This tool will accept a zip file of your logs too. Pretty slick.  Overall, I'm impressed with the results for the cost and have not seen this app referenced anywhere else in my digging through ESRI forums and GISstackexchange.  Maybe I�??m just bad at forum digging, who knows.

Hope this helps you folks out there.

http://www.weblogexpert.com
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Do you have a ballpark figure on how much you paid for this monitoring software?
0 Kudos
BugPie
by
Do you have a ballpark figure on how much you paid for this monitoring software?

Back in 2006 we paid $70.00 for the standard edition. I was able to apply this registration code in order to get a discount on upgrading to the latest version for $50.00 instead of a new purchase of $99.00 for the basic version. Seems like a steal considering the ease of use, returned data analysis and the lack of other free to cheap tools out there.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with the enterprise edition, but it must be pretty awesome if the cheap version does what it does. 

Hope this helps, cheers.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Collin:

Do you know if this software is reading the AGS logs or just the IIS logs?
0 Kudos