How to install two web adaptors on the same machine ?

Jump to solution
07-04-2018 08:20 AM
SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Hello there,

I'm using 10.5.1 version

I've installed wa for arcgis server and named it "server"

but I can't install another WA for my Portal, because the setup.exe gives me only two options "repair" or "Remove"

I tried to follow the instructions in this response :

How to set up two Web Adaptors on one machine (for AG Server and Portal) 

but I get the error: 

Application Error: Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\arcgis\WebAdaptor.config' is denied

I've tried the solution suggested here :

Error: Application Error: Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\arcgis\WebAdaptor.config' is denied 

but in the step number 9 in the link above, I can't enter enter 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool' user,

so I am literally BLOCKED

please guys help me,

and tag anyone that has already faced the same problem ..

my Best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SaraEL_MALKI

FINALLY I solved that problem,

actually when I wasn't able to add the IIS APPPOOL/ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool v4.0 user to my webAdaptor file, I changed the owner of the file from "administrator" to "system" then simply added the user "everyone" as a user of the file and give it full control over it and that solved my problem, so the instructions are:

1. Install your 1st web adaptor, and you name it 'waportal' > don't register anything in here

2. go to c:/inetpub/wwwroot -> copy 'waportal' and paste on the same place c:/inetpub/wwroot/

by default second wa name is 'waportal copy'. rename it, for example 'waserver'

3. you have to convert 'waserver' as application. go to IIS Manager > in the left side expand Default Website > right click in waserver, choose convert to application

4. chnage the owner of the file webadaptor.config from administrator to "system" and then try to add the user "IIS APPPOOL/ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool " and give it full control, if that doesn't work, add instead "everyone" user.

5. you have 2 wa right now. the first is waportal and the second is waserver.

a. register your portal on your waportal

go to http://yourhost/waportal/webadaptor/ > select portal for arcgis then follow the instruction

b. register your arcgis server on your waserver

go to http://yourhost/waserver/webadaptor/ > select arcgis for server then follow the instruction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

A few more details would help, such as OS, web server version (IIS? Apache?), etc...but I think you're going to get a quicker answer from TS. 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Is the IIS_IUSRS group listed as having permissions? Are you installing the WA as an administrator on the machine?

SaraEL_MALKI

FINALLY I solved that problem,

actually when I wasn't able to add the IIS APPPOOL/ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool v4.0 user to my webAdaptor file, I changed the owner of the file from "administrator" to "system" then simply added the user "everyone" as a user of the file and give it full control over it and that solved my problem, so the instructions are:

1. Install your 1st web adaptor, and you name it 'waportal' > don't register anything in here

2. go to c:/inetpub/wwwroot -> copy 'waportal' and paste on the same place c:/inetpub/wwroot/

by default second wa name is 'waportal copy'. rename it, for example 'waserver'

3. you have to convert 'waserver' as application. go to IIS Manager > in the left side expand Default Website > right click in waserver, choose convert to application

4. chnage the owner of the file webadaptor.config from administrator to "system" and then try to add the user "IIS APPPOOL/ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool " and give it full control, if that doesn't work, add instead "everyone" user.

5. you have 2 wa right now. the first is waportal and the second is waserver.

a. register your portal on your waportal

go to http://yourhost/waportal/webadaptor/ > select portal for arcgis then follow the instruction

b. register your arcgis server on your waserver

go to http://yourhost/waserver/webadaptor/ > select arcgis for server then follow the instruction.

0 Kudos
HassanMahmoud1
Esri Contributor

Same Problem with 107

0 Kudos