How to export from featureclass/map service layer to a shapefile via web service?

08-29-2012 04:37 PM
WilliamStasen
New Contributor
I am new the ArcGIS and have ArcGIS 10.1 for Server in Java and want a simple way to convert a feature class to a shapefile (downloadable/saveable).

I see in ArcDesktop there is the "Feature Class To Shapefile" python toolbox, but have no idea if and how it is possible to get that capability into ArcGIS Server.

I have prepared a map document with all the layers I want on it and published it to arcgis server with map service capability.

What I would like to do is be able to have some means of a REST based URL or query capability similar to what the Feature Class To Shapefile python toolbox does accessible via the web (potentially being able to specify parameters if its incorporated functionality such as the MapService/Layer I want to export as a shapefile) and am able to download the shapefile via some web address or submitting the request.

Is what I described possible in ArcGIS 10.1 for server? I can see ESRI has KML export, and would like something similar, but for shapefiles.

If what I am thinking is not possible or I would have to do it in a different way than described, please correct me if I am wrong. I just look at these documentation about SOEs, Geoprocessing Tools, but it does not appear obvious to me what needs to be done to get something like this working.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
I'd suggest you to check this tutorial out first:
Geoprocessing service example: Clip And Ship
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
You can create a GPService using arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(Input_Features, Output_Shapefile) to create a shapefile from a GPFeatureRecordSetLayer which you can construct it using map/feature service layer to just specify the URL with any query.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
YimanSong
New Contributor III
Can you give an example on how to use GPFeatureRecordSetLayer?

You can create a GPService using arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(Input_Features, Output_Shapefile) to create a shapefile from a GPFeatureRecordSetLayer which you can construct it using map/feature service layer to just specify the URL with any query.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos