How to add an additional web adaptor for external maps?

06-05-2018 01:28 AM
deleted-user-zHyAB19DanET
New Contributor

Hi, 

I have an ArcGIS Enterprise (10.6) set up with one machine hosting the portal and server and another machine in the DMZ for the web adaptors. At the moment it is set up so that everyone within our network can access the my maps 'publicly'. Now, however, I have been asked to create maps for our customers who are outside of our network. I have got a secondary machine in the DMZ for those 'properly public' maps however I cannot configure this web adaptor / portal to register with each other. The help screens that appear are 'Configure multiple ArcGIS Web Adaptors' where it asks to update system properties with '{ "WebContextURL": "https://reverseproxy.domain.com/myorg" }'. Is this asking for the reverse proxy of the internal or external web adaptor? What does it mean by 'myorg'G?

I hope I've given enough information but any help getting this set up so I can have one web adaptor for internal maps and one for external maps would be truly appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Abi 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

External web adaptor, and myorg is the name of the web adaptor. So if your web adaptor is named ArcGIS, myorg = ArcGIS. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can only have one "front-end" for Portal. For example, you can't have a web adaptor in the DMZ, (external.domain.com/portal), but then another internal, (internal.domain.com/portal).

If administrators want internal users to use their domain accounts to access the Portal but still keep public access open, either SAML or portal tier authentication is used. The front end is still one URL though, (external.domain.com/portal).

Deployment scenarios for a highly available ArcGIS Enterprise—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Ente... 

Disregard the HA part of this doc, just trying to get across that if public access is needed along with internal, there's still just one URL that is configured for the site.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Extending Jonathan's point that essentially boils down to you can only have one WA per portal* :

If you're at 10.6 and have an AGOL org, you may want to consider collaboration. In 10.6, esri added support for sharing web maps, feature layers and files, but rumor has it web apps are set for imminent support as well. 

If you're worried about branding of AGOL-hosted content, since you have a public facing web server, you can always create the site's URL / domain, issue modify the record's CNAME value so that if someone hits GreatApp.AbigailsOrg.com they see the content in AGOL. A simpler method would to be just set up an automatic redirect to the AGOL URL everytime someone hits GreatApp.AbigailsOrg.com.

0 Kudos
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, I know this post is a bit old, but I am trying to find info on an external facing web adaptor and it seems that this post has the attention of people who know about it!  Our ESRI Rep suggested for us to configure another web adaptor as external so that we could publish data to that web adaptor that would then be shared with AGOL. We would like some of our data to have 2-way editing so that our guys in the field can edit/see the same data that we use in-office. I was instructed to "add item" to AGOL and add an item from our portal.  The problem is that I can't because it isn't external facing. Any pointers of where I can read documentation on this workflow?  We just upgraded to Enterprise 10.8.1...

0 Kudos