How much do people normally pay for Amazon Web Services?

07-07-2016 08:47 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I have not seen a good amount on what people normally pay for these types of things. I know everything is relative, but what are good numbers to look at? Are there some cases where people 'play the game' right and not pay hardly anything at all?

I am just curious on whether or not it's worth looking into these types of services for a small company with no real web service (we are currently [going to be] using a public-facing PC as the faux web server).

Tag: Cloud ComputingArcGIS Server on Microsoft Azure

12 Replies
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

I could not get an answer from esri on Server licensing to plan a deployment in AWS or Azure that makes use of the cloud flexibility such as resizing number of cores per server or by cluster. "No of cores per license" is an outdated model for the cloud. One core could be very feeble or very powerful. If anybody has had better luck planning or actually deploying, please share.

Any desktop licensing hiccups are much cheaper to recover from than an enormous server licensing bill.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Xander Bakker​,

The cost calculator is a great idea! Thanks for sharing that. However, like Subu mentioned, it's really hard to estimate how much usage I would be using and I am pretty lost when I start looking at all the options on the calculator... Though, I like its title of "SIMPLE MONTHLY CALCULATOR". Haha!

I also agree with what y'all said about licensing and how server should behave versus desktop, etc...

Xander, I also just saw this

Adrian... bumping on the same day?

The original post was 20+ days ago

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adrian Welsh , you are absolutely right! I must have looked at the wrong date (last update) instead of the date it was posted. Sorry!

I totally agree that the "Simple monthly calculator" is far from "simple". However, it exists and I thought I would share this...

0 Kudos