How long should Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 upgrade take?

08-25-2020 06:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm upgrading an instance of Portal for ArcGIS 10.8 to Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1. It's been going on 3 hours and the installation is still not completed. I can see in Task Manager that there are some processes still working, such as OpenJDK Platform binary and Windows installer (32 bit). At various points the Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 Setup wizard has shown activity in the status bar, but it hasn't shown anything except Status: and an empty progress bar for at least 1/2 hour.

I've disabled Windows Defender real-time protection as I've seen it slow down installations significantly in the past.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

And at about the 4-hour mark, I got the "Installer is no longer responding" error message, on which I clicked Reply.

Another thread here with similar issues:

https://community.esri.com/message/889667-re-upgrading-to-arcgis-enterprise-107-and-portal-installat... 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK. Well, after clicking Reply, the installation "finished" "successfully". Now when I attempt to connect to the Portal site, I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I also note that there is no Portal for ArcGIS service.

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Jonathan,

It looks like it maybe corrupted. No Portal service is not good. You can not run the Portal without it. Call ESRI support. If you have Premium support you should put the case there. Sorry to here this because I had to do a lot of work to get it back to 10.8. I hope you have VM snapshots of your servers with 10.8 installed.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Aaron.

I've already opened a support ticket with Esri. Fortunately, we do have VM snapshots that we can revert to.

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Do you mind sharing the case number? Mine is Esri Case #02610294 so I can make sure they understand that I am not the only one with this issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

I added you case number to my case. I hope to find more of these to show this to be something that needs to be looked at by ESRI in a very serious light. You can add my case number to your case as well. I will let you know of anything I get from ESRI that may help.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did Esri give you a bug number, or have they not yet determined whether this is a bug?

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

No they have not classified as a bug yet. They have the product team looking into the issue.

0 Kudos