How long should Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 upgrade take?

08-25-2020 06:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm upgrading an instance of Portal for ArcGIS 10.8 to Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1. It's been going on 3 hours and the installation is still not completed. I can see in Task Manager that there are some processes still working, such as OpenJDK Platform binary and Windows installer (32 bit). At various points the Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 Setup wizard has shown activity in the status bar, but it hasn't shown anything except Status: and an empty progress bar for at least 1/2 hour.

I've disabled Windows Defender real-time protection as I've seen it slow down installations significantly in the past.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

I had the same issues with the installer and it corrupted my 10.8.1 installation and it was lost. I had to go back to 10.8. ESRI is looking into the issue. Below is my issue.

https://community.esri.com/thread/258551-portal-1081-install-issues-on-windows-2016-server-standard 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ugh. That's terrible.

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

It is and I am waiting on ESRI to correct the installer issue. The effort was not small because it is a 25 server installation. Lucky it is an UA environment. 

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

ESRI did tell me to do the Retry button. I hope you got everything installed.

0 Kudos
AndrewLamers1
New Contributor

Has anyone successfully upgraded to 10.8.1 yet?
We used the Cloud Builder to install 10.8, but it has failed in upgrading to 10.8.1.
Recently had success upgrading Portal manually to 10.8.1, and working on Server now.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well, here's where I am to this point:

After attempting to run the update a few more times, I eventually uninstalled, then I reinstalled from the command line. For some reason this worked.

I also attempted the update on another server. I again got the "Installer is no longer responding" error, but after clicking Retry, the install completed "successfully". The total install time there was about 2.5 hours.

Esri Canada is telling me that it's totally normal for an install to take many hours.

Previously, Esri Canada told me that the time was due to the amount of content that had been created on the Portal, and the amount of RAM available to the machine. Now, they're telling me that it has nothing to do with the amount of content on the Portal, and it has to do with the number of CPUs on the machine.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

An in-place upgrade, (installing a new version on top of a previous one), is actually running an uninstall and install behind the scenes. The time it takes to install is the time it takes to both uninstall and install.

It may be helpful to split those two operations to see how much time each take. I would also standardize how you're uninstalling; through the UI or silently. My assumption is through the UI will take longer, because I think the install process does more to "inventory" the install?

Anyway, the install, (or uninstall/install process if it's an in-place upgrade), time is not impacted by content, because only the binaries are changing; not the data within the portal.

0 Kudos
KurtisGagne1
New Contributor III

I seem to have the identical issue. The installer runs for nearly 2 hours before throwing an error indicating 'Installer is no longer responding'. There's still a lot of CPU and disk activity at this point according to task manager. If I click 'Retry' the installer does appear to continue copying files and then finishes 'Successfully', however the Portal for ArcGIS Service is not started and cannot be started manually (terminates instantly with no errors or logs written). So effectively a broken install. I've tried installing it silently from the command line with the same issue. There's not much to go on beside the 'Installer is no longer responding' error.

My Configuration:

- HyperV VM

- Windows Server 2019

- Upgrading from an 10.8.0 installation (non-enterprise builder) that had never been upgraded before

- ArcGIS Service Account is a Domain User

- 4 Cores Assigned with 48GB memory

- SSD System and Data Drives

0 Kudos
Mohammed_KamalAl_Saleh
New Contributor II

i have same problem

did you solve it ?

0 Kudos
ThibautDelaere2
New Contributor II

Did anyone found the cause or a solution?

I got the same issue. Upgrading from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1. Ends up with Portal missing folders.

Windows Server 2016 Standard, VMWare.

Also got the issue when removing and installing 10.8.1 (instead of upgrade)

Or can anyone confirm that 10.9 hasn't got this issue?

0 Kudos