How long does it take Esri to support a new Oracle version?

11-11-2022 10:28 AM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

It sounds like Oracle 23c will likely be released shortly after February 2023:

Oracle Database 23c is the new Long Term Support release (succeeding 19c) that has a beta period starting in October 2022 and ending in February 2023. Very shortly we will be able to start playing with these features and before too long we can start using them for real. Note that Oracle Database 23c will be supported for a long time (well into 2028 and with extended support already projected into 2031).

https://technology.amis.nl/database/oracle-database-23c-new-feature-highlights-release-february-2023...

If 23c will be released soon, I’m wondering, how long does it take Esri to support new Oracle versions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

The new released version of the Oracle Database is usually certified / supported on the next ArcGIS Release.

But sometimes it can take Esri a little longer to certify the new Oracle Database Version.

Oracle 23c is still in Beta and Esri will probably only certify / support after Oracle releases the final version of 23c.

You can monitor the certification page below to check when a particular Oracle Database Version that was released by Oracle is certified and supported with ArcGIS.

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7—System Requirements ...

Esri Support Product Life Cycles

If you open the ArcGIS Pro or the Portal or the ArcGIS Server Life Cycle chart you will have an idea of how often an ArcGIS major release happens, that will give you an idea around when to expect the next ArcGIS major release.

I hope this clarifies your question.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Here are my current thoughts:

In the Esri Dev Summit – Plenary session recording (time: 1:01:00), the presenter mentioned that the next version of Enterprise is planned to be released “[between] March and April” of this year.

That’s basically now, with Oracle 23c not being yet released, meaning the upcoming version of Enterprise won’t support Oracle 23c.

As @MarceloMarques suggested:
When I look at the “Multiple Version Table” section in Enterprise Product Life Cycle, it looks like there can be anywhere from 1-3 Enterprise releases per year. But two releases per year seems to be the most common, at least in recent years.

Bud_0-1678294386690.png

So I suppose it’s possible that there would be an additional Enterprise release this year. And such a version might even support Oracle 23c. However, my organization plans to upgrade our GIS "sometime this year". So I imagine the additional version of Enterprise would be released too late in the year for it to be used in our GIS Upgrade.

So I’ll likely be out of luck when it comes to Oracle 23c being used in our GIS Upgrade. And will need to wait until the following GIS Upgrade, 4-5 years from now, to use Oracle 23c functionality (or whatever subsequent version of Oracle applies).

Related: When is the next ArcGIS Enterprise version planned for release?

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@Bud - Indeed. You are correct. 🙂

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov