How does concurrent use license translate to ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro named users?

Jump to solution
12-06-2015 09:30 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

I am aware that an ArcGIS Online subscription comes with every ArcGIS for Desktop license that is current on maintenance - and this gives the user access to ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro.

My question is how his relates to Concurrent Licenses for Desktop when using FlexLM.

With a Concurrent License, using the license manager pool, you may have say 50 licenses that are in use at any one time.  This could relate to say 150 people that use the licenses.  Indeed, the cost of a Concurrent license is around 3 times that of a desktop license (from memory).

Therefore, when using ArcGIS Pro, or ArcGIS Online > when we have purchased Concurrent licenses, is there a rate at which the ArcGIS Pro / ArcGIS Online licenses are distributed - say 3 named users for each concurrent license?

And along the same lines - If I have an ELA which in theory gives me unlimited access to esri sortware - does this give me unlimited number of ArcGIS Online named users?

The license models are fundamentally different - so I can see the dilemma.  There is always a solution though.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark,

ArcGIS Named User licenses for Pro are a 1 to 1 with your Concurrent Use licenses.  So, for each Desktop license you get one named user to ArcGIS Online and One Pro license of equivalent level (Basic, Standard, or Advanced).  If you have an ELA each person in your organization who needs access to Pro can get it.  Contact your customer service representative for details.  

There are a number of advantages to named user licensing. You can manage, assign and reassign licenses using ArcGIS Online, or your on-premises Portal for ArcGIS.  You can take your licenses offline and into the field.  You can also, sign in and use the software on any machine, anywhere you have access to your license portal (so you could install and run it from your home machine if you wanted). In fact, many of the user requested enhancements for working with licenses (i.e. seeing who is using a license, being able to take back a license, etc.) are made possible by the named user licensing model.

However, as rastrauch stated, some of our customers requested that we include the ability to use concurrent use licenses with ArcGIS Pro, so we are doing that.  At the 1.2 release of ArcGIS Pro, and using a 10.4 license manager, you will be able to choose to use concurrent use, or single use licensing.  This will use the same license manager and license process that you are used to with ArcMap.  If you want to, you will be able to mix and match and assign some licenses to the concurrent use model and some to the named user model.  We want it to be flexible, so that it will meet all of your needs.  The concurrent use licensing model is scheduled to be available for Pro in the first quarter of 2016.

David

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

We don't have an ELA at my office, but we do have a similar situation with concurrent licenses....300+ users, about  50 core concurrent licenses and the related AGOL/Pro.  That is, limited for AGOL/Pro right now unless we buy more.

The good thing is ESRI is listening, and they announced at the 2015 UC that they plan to allow the concurrent use  model for Pro at least, however,  it possesses  its own set of technical difficulties, not all of that had been worked out yet.  The plan was to have something in place in 2016.... My guess is around the 10.4 release.

My thoughts, and coming from purely the user side, I will probably set up a few that are still assigned to the full power users so they are allowed to still user it outside the network (i.e., just thru the AGOL) since most likely the AGOL named used are still going to be the limited factor for external network access, and then put the rest in I'm assuming a FlexLM type of concurrent license setup internal that can give the occasional user access to Pro. my guess is some of the technical issues with this is the fact that the first thing Pro wants is a basemap from AGOL, so it would have to be a totally public basemap, whether from the Esri provided or a custom one fro our AGS (local services).

AgIan, this was an announcement at the user conference, closing session actually, and more details I'm sure will be announced when/if it comes true.  It was something I've been asking for (as well as many others)

So, this may not answer your questions, but hopefully some helpful info.

0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark,

ArcGIS Named User licenses for Pro are a 1 to 1 with your Concurrent Use licenses.  So, for each Desktop license you get one named user to ArcGIS Online and One Pro license of equivalent level (Basic, Standard, or Advanced).  If you have an ELA each person in your organization who needs access to Pro can get it.  Contact your customer service representative for details.  

There are a number of advantages to named user licensing. You can manage, assign and reassign licenses using ArcGIS Online, or your on-premises Portal for ArcGIS.  You can take your licenses offline and into the field.  You can also, sign in and use the software on any machine, anywhere you have access to your license portal (so you could install and run it from your home machine if you wanted). In fact, many of the user requested enhancements for working with licenses (i.e. seeing who is using a license, being able to take back a license, etc.) are made possible by the named user licensing model.

However, as rastrauch stated, some of our customers requested that we include the ability to use concurrent use licenses with ArcGIS Pro, so we are doing that.  At the 1.2 release of ArcGIS Pro, and using a 10.4 license manager, you will be able to choose to use concurrent use, or single use licensing.  This will use the same license manager and license process that you are used to with ArcMap.  If you want to, you will be able to mix and match and assign some licenses to the concurrent use model and some to the named user model.  We want it to be flexible, so that it will meet all of your needs.  The concurrent use licensing model is scheduled to be available for Pro in the first quarter of 2016.

David

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

David,

Great news!  If you need any testing of FlexNet Publisher function at  ArcGIS 10.4 License Administration and the 1.2 ArcGIS Pro seats please get in touch.

Stuart

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

a +1 for getting V Stuart Foote​  involved in any testing....Stuart is the one I trust in the forum when it comes to really understanding all the FlexLM system.

I will also throw my hat in as a beta tester, if/when needed.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David,

Thanks for that.  Sums it up well.  I appreciate your time and effort to respond.

Thanks also to others for their inputs and comments.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos